Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Columbus, Oh from Spring Hill, Fl. To see my son. I'm going up through GA, TN, KY by way of the dragon. Coming back through WVa, Va, NC,SC, Ga, and Fl. I'm planning on 5 Days up and 5-7days back. Any suggestions on great roads to take? Will not use highways.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Reactions: Patrick Scherer

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Blue Ridge Parkway for sure..

·
Registered
72 Posts
As with all trips, time is the problem. I think if I were you I would look at heading to the dragon on roads that take you west of Atlanta, ride the dragon west to east, then enjoy routes 28, 74, & 441 before working north to Columbus. The only drawback to 441 is that it goes into Gatlinburg and if you then follow 321 north you'll end up riding through Pigeon Forge. They're great places to visit but the traffic can be miserable.

Heading home I would head to Charlottesville, VA and pick up route 15 south. Once you get into NC the riding gets pretty boring compared to where you've been so I think letting Google Maps route you home from their off-interstate would be fine. That said, if time permits, head east to Savannah and then work south.

Regarding the Blue Ridge Parkway. I thought about it as well. I enjoy it a lot but it's leisurely (25-45 mph), and I suspect that it will be in the middle of any loop route you create although on your return trip it is feasible that you could head to Roanoke, VA and get on the BRP south for awhile before getting off and working southeast across NC. Of course almost nothing is off the table if you are a 400+ mile/day rider.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Southeast Ohio has some awesome roads. Take a look here;

The tripple nickle (555) is a great road. Heading to Marietta, OH for a meet-n-greet a few years ago a few of us cut north from US 50 on a great little road. I think it was OH 356 (I always recommend roads with 3 numbers) and it cuts up to OH 56 and back to US 50 at Athens. The road had steep hills so it looked like the one in front just fell off the earth, then there would be a curve down the hill. We ended up on OH 550 across to Marietta that was great too.

West Virginia has great roads too. The area where the Hatfield's and McCoy's shot each other up is a fun place to ride and visit. Cut across anywhere in the state and you will enjoy the ride. If you end up on US 52 headed to Virginia be sure to tie in on Hwy 16. In Virginia between Tazwell and Marion is called the Back of the Dragon. Good place to not miss.

If you cut south (or north) along the Tennessee/North Carolina line you will enjoy that part of your trip too.

Be sure to show off some pictures of your ride. It's easier to live vicariously through others when there are pictures.

Reactions: Patrick Scherer

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm going to Columbus, Oh from Spring Hill, Fl. To see my son. I'm going up through GA, TN, KY by way of the dragon. Coming back through WVa, Va, NC,SC, Ga, and Fl. I'm planning on 5 Days up and 5-7days back. Any suggestions on great roads to take? Will not use highways.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I would come back through Damascus VA or Bristol TN and ride the " Snake" through Shady Valley TN ( 441) . It is as fun as the Dragon but more scenic and it has curves, hills and wide open stretches. My wife and I are torn as to which we prefer more the " Dragon" or the " Snake". Its a short jaunt to the parkway (or from the parkway) which passes through Blowing Rock, NC just south of Boone, NC. Can't go wrong anywhere up there. Wind your way down parallel to I 95 and go 17 south all the way to Highway 1 in FL.

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P) 2006 Victory Vegas
58 Posts

The tripple nickle (555) is a great road. Heading to Marietta, OH for a meet-n-greet a few years ago a few of us cut north from US 50 on a great little road. I think it was OH 356 (I always recommend roads with 3 numbers) and it cuts up to OH 56 and back to US 50 at Athens. The road had steep hills so it looked like the one in front just fell off the earth, then there would be a curve down the hill. We ended up on OH 550 across to Marietta that was great too.

West Virginia has great roads too. The area where the Hatfield's and McCoy's shot each other up is a fun place to ride and visit. Cut across anywhere in the state and you will enjoy the ride. If you end up on US 52 headed to Virginia be sure to tie in on Hwy 16. In Virginia between Tazwell and Marion is called the Back of the Dragon. Good place to not miss.

If you cut south (or north) along the Tennessee/North Carolina line you will enjoy that part of your trip too.

Be sure to show off some pictures of your ride. It's easier to live vicariously through others when there are pictures.
Could not agree more, love roads with three numbers! The biggest drawback to the Parkway is the speed limit. Don't get me wrong, I love to ride it, but the going can be slow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As with all trips, time is the problem. I think if I were you I would look at heading to the dragon on roads that take you west of Atlanta, ride the dragon west to east, then enjoy routes 28, 74, & 441 before working north to Columbus. The only drawback to 441 is that it goes into Gatlinburg and if you then follow 321 north you'll end up riding through Pigeon Forge. They're great places to visit but the traffic can be miserable.

Heading home I would head to Charlottesville, VA and pick up route 15 south. Once you get into NC the riding gets pretty boring compared to where you've been so I think letting Google Maps route you home from their off-interstate would be fine. That said, if time permits, head east to Savannah and then work south.

Regarding the Blue Ridge Parkway. I thought about it as well. I enjoy it a lot but it's leisurely (25-45 mph), and I suspect that it will be in the middle of any loop route you create although on your return trip it is feasible that you could head to Roanoke, VA and get on the BRP south for awhile before getting off and working southeast across NC. Of course almost nothing is off the table if you are a 400+ mile/day rider.
Thank you so much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would come back through Damascus VA or Bristol TN and ride the " Snake" through Shady Valley TN ( 441) . It is as fun as the Dragon but more scenic and it has curves, hills and wide open stretches. My wife and I are torn as to which we prefer more the " Dragon" or the " Snake". Its a short jaunt to the parkway (or from the parkway) which passes through Blowing Rock, NC just south of Boone, NC. Can't go wrong anywhere up there. Wind your way down parallel to I 95 and go 17 south all the way to Highway 1 in FL.
Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you so much.
I like this idea

·
Registered
38 Posts

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.