Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6,200 miles on my 2004 GL1800 and need to change the oil and was considering switching to Amsoil or another synthetic. I've been using Honda GN4. Any potential problems with switching to a synthetic as this point? Thanks for any advice.

Cliff

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hope this helps, it is straight from AMSOIL's handbook:

AMSOIL synthetic lubricants are fully compatible with
conventional lubricants and other synthetic lubricants
used in automotive systems. Motorists may discontinue
use of their present lubricant and install AMSOIL motor oil
immediately. Motorists may also top off their AMSOIL
motor oil with another brand or top off their present
brand with AMSOIL motor oil with full confidence.
Lubricant compatibility only becomes an issue in certain
uncommon industrial applications. When in doubt, check
equipment manuals for lubricant compatibility advice.
AMSOIL products are completely compatible with all
components with which they may have contact. Industry
specs provide for component compatibility; products,
such as AMSOIL products, that meet industry specs
automatically meet component compatibility specs.
In fact, AMSOIL products have a more beneficial effect on
some components than conventional lubricants. For
example, AMSOIL synthetic motor oils ensure better
engine seal swell than conventional oils. Engine seal swell
keeps oil where it’s supposed to be.

If you need more info, contact Bob on this, he is the resident AMSOIL representative on this forum.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
No problem at all but WHY do you want to switch, with only 6,200 miles on an 04 I see no reason to switch, you should change oil every 6 months even if you don't have a lot of miles on it. Synthetic oil is for those that do a lot of miles in a short time and want longer oil change intervals. I would save my money and stick with GN4. If you are set on using synthetic, go to Wal-Mart and get Shell Rotella T6 fully synthetic for a little over $20.00 a gallon. A lot of guys and gals on other Gold Wings board use it and love it. I used it in my 02 Gold Wing but still use Honda GN 4 in my 08 because of few miles I ride it. I usually change it every 6 months because my mileage is less than 3,000. Honda calls for oil change with regular oil at 8,000 miles anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Amsoil 10W-30 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, Product code: MCTQT-EA
Amsoil 10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, Product code: MCFQT-EA
Amsoil 75W-90 Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube, Product code: FGRQT-EA
GL1800 Oil filter EaAM27

All those exceed Honda's requirements. I use the 10w30 motor oil and the 75w-90 gear lube and have no problems.
I feel it is the best oil available today, but I am a very biased user...:D

Enjoy and G'day
(I hope I did not step in your business too far Bob....)

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I use Honda synthetic blend and Honda filters. Buy them by the case online and save. I like the blend because I think it gives the best of both worlds (dino & full synthetic). The Goldwing will run on either and should not give you any problems as long as you change oil and filter regularly. So use what fits your budget...

Ride safe...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why are some of you using Amsoil? Have any of you tried semi-synthetic, and if, so, what brands and why. Do you semi-and full-syn users notice any difference in performance? If so, in what ways?
Thanks!
Randy

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Oil is the life blood of your engine and the filter is it's kidney (Bob's words). I used synthetic in my other two Wings and liked the way it makes my bikes shift and like the extended lifespan. I have had oil analyzed several times and the synthetic is far superior to petroleum oils even at long usage with the synthetic. Down side is it costs more, but I'm not trying to save money with it, just doing what I feel is best for my bikes engine. I could have used Rotella or another brand, but I have two Amsoil dealers right here so it's also convenient to deal with guys I've known most all my life.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When, if ever have you heard of an oil related failure on a Gold Wing, regardless of what oil you use. I know guys that run over 200,000 and 300,000 miles with regular oil and don't even change it as often as it should be changed and never had a problem. Bottom line, run what you can afford and feel good about, I ran over 100,000 miles on my 92 Wing and used Castrol 10W40 and never had a problem and never used a drop of oil, I ran over 60,000 miles on my 98 with the same stuff and same results, my 02 only had 37,000 miles on it when I sold it and I ran Shell Rotella synthetic and my 08 I ran Honda GN4 it had 29,000 miles on it when I sold it, the main thing I changed all of the bikes at 3,000 miles or 6 months, which ever came first.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use AMSOIL because it just makes no sense to me to buy a $25,000 motorcycle and then skimp on buying the best oil just to save $5 or $10.
Everybody has to make up their own mind on this subject. I like the way the bike shifts with AMSOIL [no clunk].
I'm outa here! Live long and ride safe!!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Joe is very right about the oil related lack of failures. I use the Amsoil because I like the improvements I noticed in shifting, and the way synthetics (any brand) deal with heat and start-up wear. For me it's wrth the extra $ I spend in a year on it. Strictly preferrence on my part. I also switched to Amsoil in my Duramax Sierra.
@ Chopin114, ye love walking the wild side doncha mate?:D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmm Me loves me spinach and Some Olive oil for dessert!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
In regards to which oil is best in the GW.. would it be better to use the synthetic oil under hot weather conditions like we have in Florida most of the year?

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
In regards to which oil is best in the GW.. would it be better to use the synthetic oil under hot weather conditions like we have in Florida most of the year?
I am personally comfortable using Shell Rotella 6T full synthetic in my ' 08. I don't ride extreme, but I do ride mean.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
What was the question??

I have 6,200 miles on my 2004 GL1800 and need to change the oil and was considering switching to Amsoil or another synthetic. I've been using Honda GN4. Any potential problems with switching to a synthetic as this point? Thanks for any advice.

Cliff
Answer: NO

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I use GN4 and Honda filters.....I change it twice a year...money is not an issue, if it's what Honda wants, it's what Honda gets.........If it fails it's their fault, not mine..

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use Honda synthetic blend and Honda filters. Buy them by the case online and save. I like the blend because I think it gives the best of both worlds (dino & full synthetic). The Goldwing will run on either and should not give you any problems as long as you change oil and filter regularly. So use what fits your budget...

Ride safe...

Just another fact about Dino and Synthetic oils. Synthetic oil will not leave any "sludge" on your engine parts, no matter the length of time you run the oil, or at any oil temperature.. One of the petroleum oils major by-products is sludge. Oil sludge or black sludge is a solid or gel in Dino motor oil caused by the oil gelling or solidifying, usually at temperatures lower than 100 degrees Celsius.

I just thought I'd throw that out there as a benefit of using synthetic oil. I can see no dino oil being better than any true synthetic oil.

·
Banned
74 Posts
I have been using Amsoil in my Honda Shadow for many years. It now has over 70,000 on it and run like its new...! I look at this way, do you want a engine to live a long and healthy life....or not. Its that simple. Oil is to a engine, like blood is to your body...would you let someone put crappy blood in your body...? And since I am to be very soon the proud owner of my first Gold Wing, I will be using Amsoil in it as well after its has good break in. I want my gold wing after 10 years of riding to run like it did when I brought it home the very first day, so if it means spending a few extra $$$ on keeping it that way....I will spend it. I guess it also boils down to taking pride in what you have. Funny how people with wash and wax and polish there bikes to the point that when the sun hits it the shine with blind you....but they do not give a rats ass about what makes it GO.....ie..the engine.

Thats my two cents on the subject.

·
Banned
7 Posts
No as far as Amsoil is concerned switching to amsoil from any non-synthetic oil is painless..If you have a clean engine and no oil leaks than you will not have any leaks or problems with amsoil...By Switching to Amsoil synthetic oil your vehicle will get new lease on life

1 - 20 of 20 Posts