Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a new pair of gloves, I don't really need the heated ones here in S.C. but it would be nice. I was looking at the rechargable Gerbings so if I needed the heat I could charge them up, anyone using these rechargables?
Also looked at the coconut socks, are they worth the money?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Rechargable gloves? Are these different than the gerbing clothing that can run on a battery pack? Coconut socks?? Got any info?

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Sorry. My bad Bob. I found it in my e-mail dated December 3rd!!!!!!! My how time flies. They will be flying out Monday.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Not sure if they're around anymore, but I got the missus a couple pair of winter socks that had 'mylar' threads woven through them. Worked almost like heated sockes, the mylar reflects the natural heat and keeps the toes toasty. Since herself can get cold in a sauna I thought that was pretty good if it kept her feet warm.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Last night it was 27 degrees in Columbus, NM. I was all wired up with the gloves, coat, pants and boot liners. Toasty warm.... until I had to crawl into the tent for the night.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Last night it was 27 degrees in Columbus, NM. I was all wired up with the gloves, coat, pants and boot liners. Toasty warm.... until I had to crawl into the tent for the night.
Hey Larry, I am glad you finally figured out where you were. You kept posting Columbus TX and that is down near Houston. I was beginning to wonder what you were smoking. The next few days should be in the 40's for lows to the 60's for highs. If you want to check the weather, go to http://www.wunderground.com and type in a city on your route and you can see the radar and get the weather forecast for up to 7 days in the future. Don't think you should add too much to your bike as it appears to be kinda loaded down. Anyway, have fun. Later...Isaac:D

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
You might not expect us to need heated clothing in Texas, but we do. There will be sunny days in S.C. when you'll wish you had 'em. The Gerbings plug into a connector that can be wired to your battery in a variety of ways. If you have a Gerbing jacket, a glove connector is in each sleeve.

All of the battery powered gloves I've seen have gotten less than favorable reviews, mostly to problems.....Usually a bulky battery pack on the back of the hand or wrist that interfers with the cuff of the jacket or the size of the gloves gauntlet is not big enough to fit over the jacket. The other is run-time. most of them seem to go for 3-4 hours, some only 2. So your're having to carry multiple sets and recharge overnight for trips.

Gerbings, plug them in and feet up. My choice.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
You guys in the southern states wear heated gear.... We in the NE on the other hand travel with a gas furnace attached to the back of our Wings to stay warm.....LOL

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up buying a set of Grabber gloves, they use 4 AA. They are pretty warm by themselves, there was a few days I turned them on but didn't feel any heat in the fingers or maybe it was just not enough heat.
They were only $25 so I did not expect much, the fit is just a tad small but not uncomfortable. They have a grippy palm which took some getting use to, just can't let the clutch slide off of your fingers. The battery pack is bulky but can be unplugged if not in use. They have an elastic around the wrist and a velco adjustment also, they also have a pull string at the end of the long cuff which prevents any cold air from getting in.

Over all these gloves are great for the price and work well for what I need, going to work in the mornings and weekend day trips.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I just bought some glove liners to go with my normal winter gloves. That made a huge difference. Still fighting the urge to buy heated gear.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What brand liners are they? I have used the North Face type and also the latest was using a military white wool liner inside my long cuff vinyl gloves. The wool worked ok but really bulky, and those gloves did not have the tie at the end of the cuff which makes a big difference.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i have some tourmaster fleece or winter glove liners that i use to wear but they make my gloves too bulky so i spent the money and got the tourmaster synergy gloves. when i look at all the money i spent on non heated gloves that didn't work out i could have gotten more than two pairs of heated gloves

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I actually don't have the Gerbing gloves. I couldn't justify the cost. Although, probably 3/4 of the riders in my chapter have them. I did get a pair of the Gerbing liners but only wore them for about a half hour. They're the older style, 5 yrs old, with the bulkier wires that made them too uncomfortable to wear. I got some simple liners, Patagonia brand, from a ski shop. Very thin, no effect on glove fit but a huge increase in comfort.

I tried the Gerbing socks at the dealer and rejected those before I put the boots on. My closest Gerbing dealer is about 60 miles away thru lots of Dallas traffic so I haven't been back there for a while. But the Gerbing website says they have a new type of heating element that eliminates the heavier wires. Should be much more comfortable. If I'm near there, I'll have to go back and look at the glove liners and socks, again.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts