Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to get things ready for this years trip west. Heading to GNP for the first leg of trip (4 day ride), planning on 3 to 4 days there. Then down to Beartooth Pass and a night in Red Lodge, MT (1 to 2 days), then on to Sturgis, SD for rally. Route home from Sturgis yet to be determined.
Bikes back in shape to go, 2 things left to do; put new Hankook rear tire on (already mounted) and change oil. Front end (Rim damage) is all taken care of and ready to go. Leaving here on July 20th.
Any suggestions on things to see or do while in these areas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Any reason you are not going by way of the Mackinac Bridge ? It is a really beautiful area to visit.

·
Premium Member
17,173 Posts
If you are going over Bear tooth, might want to stop in Cody and visit the Buffalo Bill Museum. Also leaving Cody head for Graybull Then up the Big Horns with a stop at the state park at Shell Canyon, it's worth a stop and see.
Or go south from Greybull to Worland and Thermopolis on 20 through Wind River Canyon another worth going to see. If you make it to Lander, be sure to Visit The Sinks Park and see where to river goes under ground.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any reason you are not going by way of the Mackinac Bridge ? It is a really beautiful area to visit.
Being from Michigan and having family in upper Wisconsin (where my mother was from) I have been across the bridge and the UP so many times in my life it doesn't do that much for me anymore and to have travel all two lanes from the bridge on. It is a little bit shorter but takes longer going the northern route. Besides my brother hates riding over the bridge, doesn't like heights much.
We discussed both routes and decided to go around the bottom of lake.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
If you are going over Bear tooth, might want to stop in Cody and visit the Buffalo Bill Museum. Also leaving Cody head for Graybull Then up the Big Horns with a stop at the state park at Shell Canyon, it's worth a stop and see.
Or go south from Greybull to Worland and Thermopolis on 20 through Wind River Canyon another worth going to see. If you make it to Lander, be sure to Visit The Sinks Park and see where to river goes under ground.
Everything Ron said! All a must see and worthy of riding. Is Dave riding with you? Y’all be safe and enjoy, take & post lots of pics for us out here so we can relive the ride.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything Ron said! All a must see and worthy of riding. Is Dave riding with you? Y’all be safe and enjoy, take & post lots of pics for us out here so we can relive the ride.:grin2:
Yeah, Dave and I are making the trip, hoping to hook-up with my cousin from Washington state while at glacier.

Reactions: George Henderson

·
Super Moderator
28,152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,510 Posts
Shush, flat-man. :LaughHard:

A lot of great suggestions. A very good area to ride.

·
Premium Member
17,173 Posts
One thing Ron didn't mention which I actually liked as much if not more than the Beartooth, is Leaving the Beartooth on 296 and going to Cody is the Chief Joseph Highway.

https://www.travelwyoming.com/listing/yellowstone-national-park/chief-joseph-scenic-byway
Bill's right Going south off the Bear Tooth on 296 will take you through Sun Light Basin, and over Dead Indian Pass, be sure to stop there also.
Be on the look out for the state park rest area just before starting up the Dead Indian pass. You'll go over a bridge then turn left into the parking area. Then walk out onto the bridge and check out the river below, it is "WAY, WAY, WAY DOWN THERE". And watch out for the cattle you'll be in Open Range country.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Jim, I get the impression you've probably done most of this before. If you've already been from Cody to Rapid City via Shell Canyon/Shell Falls, you can take a more southern route through Basin and cross the Bighorn NF via Ten Sleep Canyon (US20 and US16).

Above all else, ride safe and have a great trip.

·
Registered
106 Posts
One suggestion when you get close to Glacier is to go down to East Glacier Park village then take Looking Glass Hill road, or Montana 45, up to St. Mary to get into the park. Rode this last year when trying to get around to the east entrance of the park because the west entrance was basically closed due to a fire. Looking Glass Hill road is narrow and twisty with a pretty slow speed limit but it is enjoyable. Full disclosure, I passed a few pokey cars in no passing zones although with a clear view that it was okay.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Trip is getting closer everyday. Been looking a extended forecast, some rain possible but over all doesn't look too bad. Figuring on running some rain not many trips you don't. Got some tentative routes figured for after leaving Whitefish, MT we will see if it all works out.
Bikes are ready, new tires, oil changed, all fluids checked and topped off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,173 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when traveling the mountains in Wyoming and Montana. " If you Can See The Top Don't GO UP. "
I've been snowed on in July on the Bear Tooth.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
" If you Can't See The Top Don't GO UP. " Is what I think you mean and I will keep that in mind as good information, thank you .

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I agree with Ron
The Medicine Wheel Pass is a great route to Cody
Enjoy and be safe

every day is a good day.....some are just gooder than others

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
And the most important thing - on that first map there are 4 Wheat Montana Bakery locations!! Best cinnamon buns ever!

:grin2:

Have a terrific trip!

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bike and trailer hooked up, checked out and ready for our 4am departure time in the morning. Just need to fill the cooler (lots of water) just before taking off. Weather forecast looks pretty good, maybe some scattered t-showers in Minnesota in the afternoon. But with the heat and humidity could have a pop-up shower anywhere. Hoping to be north of Minneapolis tomorrow evening.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts