Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my NEW 2010 Gold Wing now for just over a month and have put 5,300 Km's on it. The bike is new, as in I bought it new..."first owner"... and now after just 5,300 Km's which in my books is nothing...I am already feeling tire cupping...WTF...is this all about...??? My 2004 VT750 Shadow would get this AFTER I have done like 18,000 Km's on it...that is when it would start to cup...!

At this rate...the way the front tire feels...I am going to have to change it at like 15,000 Km or there abouts. My VT750...well I would get 35,000 to 43,000 Km tire life out of my tires....so having tire cupping at 5,000 some Km's....well....I am pissed off to say the least...!

:mad:

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
if you just purchased the bike i would take it back to the dealerand show them the tire

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Tyres ?

Just as a point of interest, and not wanting to open another can of worms ..... What tyres are fitted to your bike ?

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
We are all " pissed " with the performance of the tires on this bike. Many of us ride on crappy, albeit usable , tires for many miles after the cupping is evident. I have Metzelers ME880's on front and rear. Rear has about 10,000 + miles on it and front has about 4,000 miles. Needless to say the rear is ridable but cupped pretty badly. Coasting it in neutral down the driveway I can feel the bump! bump ! bump ! Little wonder that some of us are, and many have already done, looking into car tires for these bikes. It's a touring bike and it needs touring tires.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Really, check out Dyna Beads or Centramatics (Dyna Beads=less $). My tires are doing much better w/Centramatics. And I have a friend using Beads with great wear on his 'Stones.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
How much do you use the front brake ? A heavy hand on the front brake will cup a front tire fast , We who ride a triked wing have a trick to long life front tires we use a Mitch. Pilot Active which is a rear tire for a sport bike they are the best for a trike , not sure about how they would do on a two wheeler ?

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
2010 Cdn models are equipped with the TPMS system. As a dealer I would suggest that anyone do NOT use balance beads in a TPMS equipped bike. My Dunlops lasted ove 20,000 km but the front one did cup early, but not dangerously so, just made them noisier.
All the things we do to our bikes after we buy them could very well be done during production when Honda builds them yes. And we'd all end up spending a comparable amount to an Ultra CVO when we lay down the cash. Doubt that would please too many of us.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
If I ever need to redo the steering head bearings, it will be with All Balls tapered bearings. As I mentioned above, Honda could do lots of the things we do over time, but it'll cost us on the sticker price.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
So much misinformation, it boggles the mind!
Read this:
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html
Noted portions:
Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping (see pictures, but we will use the more common term "cupping" here), is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern.
It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
budoka;485145 All the things we do to our bikes after we buy them could very well be done during production when Honda builds them yes. And we'd all end up spending a comparable amount to an Ultra CVO when we lay down the cash. Doubt that would please too many of us.[/QUOTE said:
I get this...but it would make more sense if we were talking paint, chrome, bling, etc. Instead though, we are talking about the infrastructure of the bike. Honda could make these changes i.e. better front tripple tree, shocks, all balls, and just chalk it up to a learning experience, and most of us would be happy with the fact that they were taking care of business. Instead, what...they're worried about saving face or something? I don't get it!

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I'll be the first to agree with you on that. The front end of our GL1800 has got to be the worst excuse for a top line bike of this nature. I've also had my Honda Canada reps (training supervisors, tech heads, marketing...) agree with me face to face (with embarrassment I might add) on it. Just exactly why they don't use tapered bearings in the steering head from the outset is beyond me. It isn't only $$ either, they p*** away more on the drafting boards designing jet aircraft fer gawd sake, not to mention actually producing motorised two wheel office chairs etc. There's real no reason why they can't equip the Wing with adjustable compression and rebound damping front and rear either, it's been on other bikes in the past (my RC51 for example). Pre-existing technology doesn't add allot of extra cost to something already in production. Not using it however, is a big bone of contention. Same with re-designing the saddlebags and fairing of the '12 and '13 models and leaving the old trunk (2010 and before) that doesn't blend at all with the 'new look'. Argh, very frustrating as a rider and a fan, even worse being a dealer and having my customers complain about it. Worst of all, they're (we all are) 100% right.
C'mon Mother, listen up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.