Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, water pump failing on my 05 gl1800 for some time now, gradually the bike started overheating after less and less time stuck in traffic. Telltale fluid on the garage floor in that area from time to time, etc.

So, with the trusty clymer manual it looks deceptively easy, it keeps referring you to other chapters to remove different components to get to the pump. Finally, my wing is in pieces all over the floor, but the manual assures me this can be done with the engine in the bike. Pullled the old pump out rewarded with a horrible squeaking sound when turning the impeller, so was glad to know it wasn't all imagination.

In the process of putting everything back together again and fingers crossed the bike will actually start!

Chris

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Good luck. Hope you don't end up with extra parts laying around. Let us know how it works out and if you think it was worth the effort to do yourself or have done by a shop...

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Agree with what TWW says 100%. The pump on my sportbike is easily accessed, but I fear the Wing and all the things you mention:eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well all that's left is to put the top shelf on. I did learn you can do the replace without pulling the reverse arm assembly which is pretty involved.

Bike fired right up and annoying rattle from the water pump is gone.
This is what had to be done to do the water pump
1. remove meter panel cover
2.remove top shelter and trim pieces
3.remove the four side covers
4.remove fuel tank
5. remove battery tray, battery, battery box
6.remove alternator
7.remove starter (this is where clymer says to remove the reverse arm assembly which is not easy. I found the the bottom starter bolt can be reached using quarter inch drive extensions, you do have to unbolt the rear master cylinder to get to the 2nd starter bolt. Clymer suggests to remove the master cylinder altogether which means draining the whole system!! )
8. Remove water pump.

I'm so glad I did this tho I questioned myself a few times I can't begin to imagine what a shop would charge in labor at $100 an hour!!

So the starter cost me $225 (honda oem) and 4 liters of honda coolant at $24.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Good job Chris. Congrats, now your good for another 7 years...

·
Registered
112 Posts
ya know the saving the money is a biggy but with me when i go thru the whole teardown and putting all back together inch by and making sure its all done right. And then VROOM! And everything is perrrfect. Its the over all accomplishment of the whole job and being able to hit the road without a worry cause I know I did it right. Pat yourself on the back is the greatest feel....Great Job Bullseye

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
Sweet bullseye. I have the official Honda Service Manual and even with that I would have second thoughts digging that deep. You did it with a Clymer's Manual.You're good !

·
Registered
178 Posts
its nice to hear you can still do some of your own work, seems hard to be able to do these days with sooo much electronics. awesome job bud, keep an eye on the temp gauge for a bit

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No parts left over, but I dropped one screw somewhere in the bodywork so had to use a spare I had!

Very gratifying to run it with no overheating whatsoever!

Had to get it back on the road as me and a friend are riding out to the bmw rally in MO in July. Funny we go to one every year and he's riding a duc and I'm riding a wing!

Chris

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something you guys might want to get if you flush your radiator, change coolant. I bought one a couple years ago after reading a review in motorcycle consumer news.

http://www.amazon.com/550500-AirLift-Economy-Cooling-Refiller/dp/B000IHK1VI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339565273&sr=8-1&keywords=UVIEW+550500+AirLift+II+Economy+Cooling+System+Refiller

Basically drain your coolant normally, then put the drain plug back in place, and hook this up, it creates a vacuum, when ready to refill the system it pulls it straight from the bottle and you don't have any air pockets with this.
Been using it as it makes draining coolant for my track days when I have to change to water.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Well done, bullseye! As cpwomer said, it's not just the saving of money, but the satisfaction of doing the job right. And, it allows (forces) you to know your Wing "intimately". :eek::D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts