Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a new GL1800, after having ridden a GL1500, GL1200 and GL1000 over the years. I'm concerned about the cost of tire replacement when the time comes. I've been on the directlineparts.com site and like their prices for tires, but will need a person to perform the labor. Does anyone have any good techs they use in Central Illinois for this kind of work? I don't mind paying a fair price, but the cost of tire replacement at a dealer is unreal. Thanks...Huly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought my fifth gold Wing and have always used the same dealership. Yup, the prices are a little spendy. However, I trust my dealer to do the job right which includes proper installation, balancing, and checking everything else along the way like brakes, wiring, abnormal conditions, etc. Saved my butt on more than one occasion. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Where in Central IL?

Here is a place that does tires, they sell them at decent prices, or probably would put them on if you brought them in.

G & D Trikes
200 S Baer Road
Tremont, IL 61568-7402 map
Peoria-Pekin, IL Metro Area

Phone:
(309) 925-5191

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Check your phone book or the web for motorcycle shops in your area. Most will have the ability to mount & balance tires. But most of them don't like it if buy your tires somewhere else and bring them in to get mounted, kind of like bringing your own eggs to a restaurant and asking them to cook them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Go to a car tire for rear tire. You will save considerably in tire price & double your mileage on the tire. My first car tire has over 20k miles & should last another 8k miles. Only paid around $120. for tire & have a smoother quieter ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check with several local Honda dealers.

I found a drastic difference in price from one to another.

I had a rear tire put on today and the dealer charges 35 for mount and balance, or 15 in you just bring in the tire and rim. They also had a good price on the tire. Dunlop e3 for $199

Another dealer had the same tire for $259 and wanted double for installation.

The dealer in the big city had the best deal. I figured it would have been the opposite.

It's worth a few phone calls.

Honestly, if you can afford a new wing, a few dollars one way or another for a tire shouldn't break you. lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Havent't bought tires for my 1800 yet, but I will very soon. Prices for both tires mounted and balanced are in the $450 to $500 range, that would be for E3's or similiar. A local private shop has the best deal--and has dyna beads, the dealer does not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GL1800 Tires

Thanks for all the input to this original request. Over the years on this bike (now >47,000 miles), I've learned to stay away from the E3s due to cupping, front end wobble and noise. Mileage wasn't too bad at about 15,000. Favorite tires now are Bridgestones, currently on the second set. They're smooth running, quiet and get the same mileage at a lower initial cost, and NO WOBBLE in the front end. I'm also using the shop in Tremont. Charlie does a great job, and sources tires near enough to the cost I find, so I let him make a little on the new rubber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts