Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 GL1800 with 22,000 miles on it. I ride 2 up with my wife all the time and I've never been able to get more that 8,500 - 9,000 miles out of a set of tires. I talk to other guys who claim to get 17,000-20,000 out of a set.

I'd like to buy a small cargo trailer to pull but fear this will cause tires to wear even faster.

I've tried the OEM Dunlop D250 and the Elite III with equal results.

Any thoughts or ideas??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Something wrong there. First, I never buy a "set" of tires because my front out wears my rear. I usually get about 14,000 on the rear and 25,000 on the front. I've run mostly Metzler and Bridgestones, but I doubt the brand would make that much difference. I run 41lbs in front and rear. I read a article many years ago and it listed different states that were very hard on tire life because of what they put in their asphalt. Florida, where I live it is filled with coral rock. Georga, if I remember correctly uses granite and is harder on the tires. It depends what is abundent in each area apparently as to what filler their asphalt is made up of.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
It's a three legged race here between Metzelers, Bridgestone and Dunlop E-3's. Only time will tell as each reports their wear. I'm the Metz rider.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Tom, here is what little I know and I hope it helps.
First off, opinions on tires vary drastically, especially with the Goldwing. You have to keep in mind that the Goldwing has a wide variety and spans a broad age of riders.
There are very "Spirited" riders, conservative riders, down right hardcore riders and then there are riders who seldom get the bike to lean any more than 5 degrees.

With that being said, those who get 12,000 plus miles on a set of any motorcycle tire are in the group who ride conservatively, ride a lot of flat straight road and seldom get crazy in the twisties.
Now I know there will be people jump all over me and tell me they got xx,xxx miles on their tires and they claim to ride aggressively. All I can tell you is, one mans definition of "Riding aggressive" can and is very different from the next mans.
And this is fine, it's all about having fun riding. I could care less how anyone rides his or her bike. The point is tom, you can NOT listen to the masses on a Goldwing site and get any real data on what to expect from your tires.

Me my self, I just mounted a set of Bridgestones on my 08' Monday. I bought the bike new in May this year with the stock dunlops on it. I had right at 6300 miles on them and they were getting too loud for my taste. They still have over 1/3 tread life left on them and I imagine I could have squeezed another couple thousand miles from them.
But these are the same tires I see other people claim they got 12k or better out of and say they still had tread left?
Sorry, I don't buy it unless you never break the speed limit and you start breaking 1/4 mile before your stop!

If you get 9k miles out of a MC tire, I say that is about right. As for me, I am sure I will be changing these out at around 7k -8k due to the way I ride. I am HARD on breaks and even harder on the throttle from the stop lights. I constantly push the limits of my abilities in the twisties too. But the fact is, most of my riding is in Southeast Texas on flat roads and I ride my wing as a daily driver to and from work. The D250 I took off the rear was shaped more like a car tire than a MC tire after 6300 miles due to all the highway riding I do. I expect the Stones to do about the same but with better grip and little to no cupping.

Take it for what it's worth but do not base your opinion of what to expect from your tires based on what you read on a forum. Use your own judgment and stick with what works for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same tire issues

I am also going through the same tire issue,,, with only 7K on the tires and muy Dunlap E 3s are starting to sing. I am also one who pushes my wing hard but still though I would get more then 7.
The dunlaps do me well never once did I feel like they were going to let me down. But the back tire gives me some vibrationaand the wear looks bad. I always keep my pressures correct but I am going to try a different brand. It you put alot of miles on these bikes the tires can be a major cost..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same tire issues

I am also going through the same tire issue,,, with only 7K on the tires and my Dunlap E 3s are starting to sing. I am also one who pushes my wing hard but still thought I would get more then 7.
The dunlaps do me well never once did I feel like they were going to let me down. But the back tire gives me some vibration and the wear looks bad. I always keep my pressures correct but I am going to try a different brand. If you put alot of miles on these bikes the tires can be a major cost..

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am also going through the same tire issue,,, with only 7K on the tires and my Dunlap E 3s are starting to sing. I am also one who pushes my wing hard but still thought I would get more then 7.
The dunlaps do me well never once did I feel like they were going to let me down. But the back tire gives me some vibration and the wear looks bad. I always keep my pressures correct but I am going to try a different brand. If you put alot of miles on these bikes the tires can be a major cost..
Welcome to my world. I could have kept the dunlops on till spring time. But I would rather have tires that are as capable as the wing and that give me a pleasurable riding experience.
I chose Bridgstones this time around based on the reviews I have read and that most reviews comment on little or no cupping issues with them.
If I were worried about the cost of tires, I would not be on a wing in the first place. So I look at it like this, the GL1800 is a very very heavy girl! With this comes the downside of tire wear issues. There is no way around it and the only way you will ever see a tire that gets more than 9k before it becomes unbearable is to just not ride like you want and be an ultra conservative rider.
I choose to ride like I stole the old girl and pay for it with poor tire wear.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oh and one more thing. Did I mention how awesome a new set of tires feel?
OMG.........It's like a new bike again. It falls so easy into the curves now that I almost dropped it leaving the dealership Monday!
I get the old tires home and the D250 almost looks like a car tire the way the center is all flat and wide.
I forgot to mention that even though I ride like I stole it and ride aggressive in the curves, fact is 75% of the miles on these tires are daily commutes in Houston highway traffic.
At least I kinda know what a car tire feels like now, I just may have to find a spare wheel and toss a Kumho RF on there for some testing!

Also, the main reason I changed tires is the D250 started getting very slick and hard. I could feel every crack in the road and a few times I had the rear end try to come out from under me while powering around slower traffic. Not sure if I wore thru the softer outer compound in the center or if it is just because the rubber is thinner. But the actual softness of the ride seems better than when I put the very first mile on it with the dunlops.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tom, here is what little I know and I hope it helps.
First off, opinions on tires vary drastically, especially with the Goldwing. You have to keep in mind that the Goldwing has a wide variety and spans a broad age of riders.
There are very "Spirited" riders, conservative riders, down right hardcore riders and then there are riders who seldom get the bike to lean any more than 5 degrees.

With that being said, those who get 12,000 plus miles on a set of any motorcycle tire are in the group who ride conservatively, ride a lot of flat straight road and seldom get crazy in the twisties.
Now I know there will be people jump all over me and tell me they got xx,xxx miles on their tires and they claim to ride aggressively. All I can tell you is, one mans definition of "Riding aggressive" can and is very different from the next mans.
And this is fine, it's all about having fun riding. I could care less how anyone rides his or her bike. The point is tom, you can NOT listen to the masses on a Goldwing site and get any real data on what to expect from your tires.

Me my self, I just mounted a set of Bridgestones on my 08' Monday. I bought the bike new in May this year with the stock dunlops on it. I had right at 6300 miles on them and they were getting too loud for my taste. They still have over 1/3 tread life left on them and I imagine I could have squeezed another couple thousand miles from them.
But these are the same tires I see other people claim they got 12k or better out of and say they still had tread left?
Sorry, I don't buy it unless you never break the speed limit and you start breaking 1/4 mile before your stop!

If you get 9k miles out of a MC tire, I say that is about right. As for me, I am sure I will be changing these out at around 7k -8k due to the way I ride. I am HARD on breaks and even harder on the throttle from the stop lights. I constantly push the limits of my abilities in the twisties too. But the fact is, most of my riding is in Southeast Texas on flat roads and I ride my wing as a daily driver to and from work. The D250 I took off the rear was shaped more like a car tire than a MC tire after 6300 miles due to all the highway riding I do. I expect the Stones to do about the same but with better grip and little to no cupping.

Take it for what it's worth but do not base your opinion of what to expect from your tires based on what you read on a forum. Use your own judgment and stick with what works for you.
You are dead on Buzzy, best honest explanition ever said about tires.
I have been riding Goldwings since 1985. On the 1200 & 1500's I did get 15 to 19K on the bias Dunlops. My (2) 1800's best I ever got is 12K. Usually on average I get 9-10K. Although I have changed them at 7K. I used to run Dunlop exclusively. I now have Avon Cobras and I am getting same wear and milage I got with the E3's. So I guess my riding habits are the same and consistant. I alway change front and rear at the same time. I also noted that my pegs and under carriage has road rash. How'd that happen??? :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I debated getting new tires a couple of weeks ago. Instead I drove from Baton Rouge, to Andrews NC (by myself), rode every day I was there (2 up), and back (1 up). They were making a little hummmm on the way up, more each day, and by the time I got back I was worrying. This is the first bike that the front tire and the rear tire seem to be wearing close enough, I am taking it in this afternoon to have another set put on. In 7 days I put another 1900 miles on it. It is a 2010 GL1800, and is 100 miles short of 11,000 miles. The tread still looks passable, but I promise I will never do 11,000 again with these dunlops on it. The noise is bad. I have to turn the stereo up to drown out the tires whining. I don't ride as aggessive as I did with my FJRs, but I still ride to have fun. I am happy to get 11,000. I have a cabin in NC 30 mins from the dragon, and the wear from the interstate miles and the twisty miles have kept the rear pretty round.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Good 'ol " Buzzy ". He not only gives you the facts as he sees it, but he backs it up with a dissertation! Miss you Buzzy. Nice to see a blast from the past.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good 'ol " Buzzy ". He not only gives you the facts as he sees it, but he backs it up with a dissertation! Miss you Buzzy. Nice to see a blast from the past.
Oh I check in on a somewhat regular basis, I just don't really post much. Nice to see you Sir, hope all is well in your part of the world!

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Oh I check in on a somewhat regular basis, I just don't really post much. Nice to see you Sir, hope all is well in your part of the world!
Your absence is duly noted. You are a man of few words until you see a post worth commenting about. Would that your example was followed by others ( present company included ).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Your absence is duly noted. You are a man of few words until you see a post worth commenting about. Would that your example was followed by others ( present company included ).
Funny but I was actually contemplating resurrecting an old thread last night. The thread where we were talking about smoking @ 70 mph and the ability to light a cigarette.
I still haven't finished what I set out to do with the lighter socket install. So I found a couple of Marine grade sockets on Amazon.com and they should be here by this weekend. One is going on the right fairing and the other is going on the right pocket lid ( Mine is Airbag model, I have no right side pocket ).
The lighter with be right above my knee and wire directly to the battery!

No more "Hurry and grab a smoke and light it before the light turns green" for my my friend!

I'll post up pictures when I get done.

By the way, did you ever find the anti-dive bypass part? Or did you come to the conclusion that you don't need it? That is still on my to do list but I really am not finding a reason to do it just yet.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've noticed a noise change in my D250's the last couple rides, they sing a bit more than they used to (I can notice it real easy now) and I don't have 9000 miles on them yet. The tread is still fine but I'll pay particular attention to the sound and the wear. Might take me until spring though, since unless things go goofy warm with the weather around here, I'm done.:(

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Funny but I was actually contemplating resurrecting an old thread last night. The thread where we were talking about smoking @ 70 mph and the ability to light a cigarette.
I still haven't finished what I set out to do with the lighter socket install. So I found a couple of Marine grade sockets on Amazon.com and they should be here by this weekend. One is going on the right fairing and the other is going on the right pocket lid ( Mine is Airbag model, I have no right side pocket ).
The lighter with be right above my knee and wire directly to the battery!

No more "Hurry and grab a smoke and light it before the light turns green" for my my friend!

I'll post up pictures when I get done.

By the way, did you ever find the anti-dive bypass part? Or did you come to the conclusion that you don't need it? That is still on my to do list but I really am not finding a reason to do it just yet.
Mz. Vickie would appreciate the lighter on the move also. As for the Anti- dive I have no ride feeling to justify it yet. As time goes by and I become more sensitive to the Wing I will expect more in performance. I can already see that taking the sudden forward " jolt " out of the stops may be an improvement. It's hard to stop the same consistently. OK . The topic is tires here. My Metz's sing a bit louder than they did when new on the turns. Probably the rear as it is older. Damn! Just checked the mileage and the rear has about 6,000 miles already. I just put it on June 5, 2010

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the responses. It's nice to know you can talk to people with similar experiences. It really helps a lot!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts