Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys & Gals,

I am new to this site and Goldwings having driven crotch rockets for the last 30 years. Just bought a 2003 GL1800 and loving the comfort but finding the handling is a bit barge like!!
Would like to get the full Traxxion works done on the suspension but don't have enough money just yet. I fitted traxxion fork springs and gave the forks a complete service and oil change. Checked the head bearings and found the improvement in handling to be considerable. Any suggestions for the rear end until I can afford a traxxion rear shock? Is fitting a 1200lbs spring to the standard rear shock a worth while mod? or am I just throwing good money after bad?
I realise the goldwing is not a sports bike, but no suspension should collapse so much under the bike's own weight.. The Traxxion springs give the front end a much better feeling and have not made the ride uncomfortable.. I never thought I would own a leadwing, but having made the move, I do like the comfort and I have greatly lost the urge to ride at 9/10ths!! of my capability all the time and am happy to ride at 5/10ths and enjoy the scenery.. A whole new way of riding, and loving it.. I still have a couple of crotch rockets for when the urge takes me, but this goldwing is nice.. I also fitted a set of Avon Cobra tyres instead of the standard Michelins and am pleasantly surprised by them.. Why don't Honda sort the suspension as standard on a bike this expensive?
Anyway, just wanted to say hi and ask for any other low cost mods to improve the handling on this fine motorcycle..

Gary

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
How many miles on the bike? There are a couple of reasons why the back end might sag. Is you preload set up high enough? Also you might want to try topping off the fluid in the rear shock actuator.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joe, the bike has 13,000 miles (not much) I am riding solo with preload on max to get reasonable handling and to have the suspension loose only 50% of it's travel under the bikes own weight. I usually set up a bike to have a static sag of around 30% with rider not 50% by itself. Everything tells me the spring is too weak. When I have a passenger it will get even worse. The bike seems to handle fine, but I am sure it could handle better with a stiffer spring and I would like to reduce the pre-load so that I have some adjustement available for when I carry a passenger.
When I change the spring I also intend to check the level of the oil in the preload hydralic system, I have looked by eye and can see the preload system move up and down so it is working but I don't know if it has the full range of movement..

Gary

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe, I had already found that link which is why I want to check the level when I change the spring. I was surprised to see that Traxxion sell replacement fork springs but not shock springs.:confused: Have ordered a Progressive shock spring until I can get a traxxion rear shock. I love riding this bike even if the suspension is a bit too soft!! I guess coming from race type bikes it will take me a while to adjust to soft comfortable suspension!!:) But I do like being able to admire the scenery (something I never had time to do on a sports bike!) due to the slower and more relaxed riding.. I guess this is the advantage of becoming older and wiser...!! :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm sure the Wing doesn't handle like a sports bike but it will drag pegs in the corners and you won't feel like it's coming out from under you. You can go pertty hot into the twisties and it will handle it, for a Touring Bike, it handles the road real nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts