Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend with a little time on my hands I decided to lay the wing down and take off the rear tire as seen on some youtube videos. I also wanted to get a look at the rear brakes since they had been dragging (going back to the dealer next week). Looking in the owners manual it shows to remove the rear fender, which is the easiest to do?

I had trouble getting the tire out, I took off the Ergo foot pegs but left on the attaching braces on, did leaving them on cause the bike not to go over far enough?

Just gathering info for next time.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If laying on the tip over bars rear fender does not need to be removed. Tire will slide out the bottom.
I put mine on the side stand to break the lugs loose. Then on the center stand and remove the rear fender and move the amp and brace out of the way. Remove the tire out the back. That's when it was still a 2 wheeler. Never wanted to chance any damage laying it on it's side!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Did you pull out the centerstand after you laid it over to get the tire off the ground and create clearance to pull it out?

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
If you do the side layover method, pull out the center stand once the bike is over to increase the lean angle. I changed out my car tire using that method. Of course, completely remove the right highway peg, peg and mounting bracket.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I had it on the ground and realized the tire was hanging on the studs I placed a floor jack on the center stand and lifted it enough to get the tire out. I will try the center stand out next time. I was going to lube the gears on the final drive (I thought it was like my Shadow) then realized I can't.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Man you guys do it the HARD way! It is so simple, just put in on the center stand, remove 4 retaining bolts on rear center fender, loosen lug nuts with impact gun, slide out. Can be done in 15 min. Even my car tire slides right out! No need to remove anything else.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Man you guys do it the HARD way! It is so simple, just put in on the center stand, remove 4 retaining bolts on rear center fender, loosen lug nuts with impact gun, slide out. Can be done in 15 min. Even my car tire slides right out! No need to remove anything else.
This won't work on '06 (I think '06) and above. The amp is in the way and is easier to jack the bike up or lay it over than to take out the amp.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
HAHAHHAHAH! You are mostly likely right on !!!!!!! Leave it to following the " heard " mentality. Shame on us for perpetuating a process so problematically possible.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Step one drive to dealer, Step two hand them the keys, Step three pry open your wallet, Step Four Bend over:eek:.This is by far the easiest way to change out a rear tire.;)

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Step one drive to dealer, Step two hand them the keys, Step three pry open your wallet, Step Four Bend over:eek:.This is by far the easiest way to change out a rear tire.;)
Easy??????

:D :D :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought an air lift table with a drop-out panel to remove rear tire and makes it easy. You would be surprised how many things you will use a lift for. Makes a good height to clean your wheels without laying on the ground. Oil changes are a snap. :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a air table at my shop and still prefer to remove tire at home in garage. Usally end up adding more lights while tire is removed and do not want everybody walking around my bike while apart.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a air table at my shop and still prefer to remove tire at home in garage. Usally end up adding more lights while tire is removed and do not want everybody walking around my bike while apart.
I understand, I feel the same way, I am lucky I guess my shop is my man-cave and Im the keeper of the key. LOL :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
This won't work on '06 (I think '06) and above. The amp is in the way and is easier to jack the bike up or lay it over than to take out the amp.
It'll work but you have to remove the electrical goodies. I guess once you know what to remove it's all good but the layover method is a-ok in my book!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.