Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to make this disclaimer, as I had nothing really bad to say about the stock suspension, with anti-dive disabled, because it performs well for its intended purpose for the majority of riders. It is comfortable as well as versatile going from long distance touring to a track day while being stable and predictable, albeit on the soft side.

I have installed RT (Race Tech) springs and Gold Valve and Emulator in the forks and went with a custom valved RT G3-S shock in the rear. The fork modification only set me back about $300 as I did all the labor myself. The rear shock is pricey at over $1k (spring/shock w/custom valving for type of riding) and there is no rear shock which compares with the top line RT setup at this time. I went for a ride this morning.

All I can say is that my Goldwing is now a different animal. Still very plush, but the improvement in compliance, control, and bottoming resistance is huge. The spring rate was increased 40% front (.7 to 1.0kg/mm) and 30% rear (16.5 to 21.4 kg/mm) from stock. I'm sure a spring rate change alone would have helped tremendously but I decided to go for top line while my bike was apart. FYI for anyone considering the same during these winter months. Also, the changeout to HID lights is night and day, no comparison to the dim stock, yellow lights. The LED fogs are on backorder so no feedback yet. Also rewired so that fog lights are on all the time, low or high beam.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Now we know you won't have anything left of your pegs/floorboards!!!!

:D :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was surprised how easily I still scraped the pegs. I was figuring with the extra ground clearance that it wouldn't happen anymore. I suppose I'm just used to dropping the bike until I scrape pegs when I turn. The suspension is so nice I'm planning an overnight trip with the better half next weekend.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Dookoo. You morphed your Wing ? We are going to have to start a new forum. I don't know what to call what you are riding now, but most of us just ride a Goldwing. I'm going to start at the rock bottom here myself and disable the anti-dive and see how that works for me. There is only one thing standing in my way between my Wing and any performance products and she'll be home any minute now.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will notice the immediate difference with the ADV disabled. I assume you will be getting the Wingstuff $20 spacer, which is the cleanest way to do this that I've seen. Will really smooth out your bike under braking. As long as you progressively apply your front brake, like we all are supposed to, your front end dive will be minimal.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Very interesting update Dookoo. I'm still reeling under the sticker shock of the Traxxion upgrade and would have a tough time justifying it unless my whole system was completely sacked out. And then I'd still have to be able to convince herself I had to do a week long sojourn out to Kelowna to get it done. This looks/sounds like a much more reasonable alternative. Cheers:D

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
You will notice the immediate difference with the ADV disabled. I assume you will be getting the Wingstuff $20 spacer, which is the cleanest way to do this that I've seen. Will really smooth out your bike under braking. As long as you progressively apply your front brake, like we all are supposed to, your front end dive will be minimal.
I've seen the hole through the Buffalo Head nickle trick but I need the $20 expense to get over the limit for free shipping.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chopin, do you have a link to the pic you have of the knee dragging Wing?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I've seen the hole through the Buffalo Head nickle trick but I need the $20 expense to get over the limit for free shipping.
You know I might be wrong, but that bike just dosen't seem to be leaning enough to have all those sparks flying like that. That looks just like a regular sweeping turn to me. I think what we are seeing here is a car tire failure in a left turn...:D (that ought to get a response)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also jumped on the bandwagon with the full blown RT frt/rear setup :p
Dookoo did my front end..awesome job!

It was fun tearing the wing apart and putting everything back together ;) The DIY project saved me nearly 9 hours of labor costs from the dealership -- which in itself paid 70% of the suspension upgrade.

The Goldwing is now what a Goldwing should've been from the start.
Simply marvelous! ...and a huge thank you to Dookoo for his help :cool:

Ok Dookoo...let's race :)....the wing's suspension is totally compliant while bumping the rev limiter in 5th gear...we need a 6th gear darnit! :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You know I might be wrong, but that bike just dosen't seem to be leaning enough to have all those sparks flying like that. That looks just like a regular sweeping turn to me. I think what we are seeing here is a car tire failure in a left turn...:D (that ought to get a response)
Yes, that picture says Photoshop all over it doesn't it!

My bad, I looks at the real pic and they is tha real deal.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Likewise, Dookoo's Friend. Thanks for your assistance in tearing down my bike for the rear suspension install. Did you 'plant' all those extra parts I have left over?:(

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Very interesting update Dookoo. I'm still reeling under the sticker shock of the Traxxion upgrade and would have a tough time justifying it unless my whole system was completely sacked out. And then I'd still have to be able to convince herself I had to do a week long sojourn out to Kelowna to get it done. This looks/sounds like a much more reasonable alternative. Cheers:D
If there are any good suspension guys out there, you can also have Ohlins cartridges (The Best) installed in both forks with some minor machining. I could have had this done locally for about $1200. I'm helping out three Wing owners from the other site rebuild their forks (Why is it that those guys from Texas are following my mods?). I've heard good things about the RT setup and they also had the best rear shock, so I went with RT. They are easy to adjust and fiddle with if need be, plus they are on the west coast. Besides, the Goldwing will never be a track weapon. :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
1 - 15 of 15 Posts