Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 08 gl1800 .Ive put 550 miles on it so far and Just wondering if Im being to nice to this bike .Im still amazed the power it has.The question I have is should I be winding this thing out more than Im am .At 80 mph Im only doing 3500 rpms ( aprox) Redline is 6000 .Seems like Im thorching the thing if I wind it out anywhere close to those kind of rpms.

Any opinions on a good power range to shift / run in under average conditions (weight,grade etc)?????????????

I dont want to beat the thing by high rpms but I dont want to lug the bike either.

Thanks

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I find I shift at various rpm depending on the mood I'm in, and the given road/traffic conditions. The only thing to remember is it isn't a push-rod v-twin and the engine is meant to rev in spite of the impressive torque the engine makes. If I'm in a docile mood or the traffic is on the heavy side, I'm inclined to shift a tad conservative. If it's quiet or I'm feeling a bit rammy, I'll run her up into the higher end and enjoy the brisk acceleration it has to offer. You can ride these things all day long 4k, 5k whatever and not hurt 'em, just beware of the ridiculous speeds you can attain by doing it (ticket city). It is fun to surprise the crap out of the guys on the sport tourers and road rockets with our 1/2 ton luxo bikes. Just beware of Smoky:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now that you have broken in the engine, change the oil and filter with Mobile 1 full synthetic M/C specific oil, factory Honda oil filter and go ride it! It's broken in now for all intents and purposes, so don't be afraid to rev it up. The rings usually seat within the first 100 miles.

Modern CNC manufacturing is so much better than the old days, that engine tolerances are really close. The days of long break in periods are over. Go ride it!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Once you get used to it you will find the place that feels right, if you are looking for the best MPG's shift at 2,000 RPM's. I don't look but I can tell by the sound of the motor, this is my 6th Gold Wing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts