Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm putting on new clear turnsignals on my new wing a few nights ago. Drop the righthand mirror - cracks. @#$! Oh well, I'll just order a new one. What can it cost $30?

BE ADVISED: Honda will sell you every single part associated with the mirrors individually -EXCEPT, YOU GUESSED IT, the mirror itself. You cannot buy the glass mirror by itself. You have to buy an entire assembly - painted housing, turn signal, internal bracket etc. It's only about $255!!!

I searched around the internet for a new or used RH mirror only but had no luck.

Ended up ordering Muth mirrors with the led signal in the glass. About $50 less for both sides vs the one mirror from Honda.

Anyone know why Honda would do this? I am totally baffled. Thought about calling Honda's Corp America office in CA, but I am sure I would get nowhere.

Rob

:mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Couldn't you have just taken the assembly to a auto glass shop and had them make a mirror? I'm still new to bikes but I've had several truck mirrors where I've had the local auto glass shop install a new mirror glass when the old one was broken.

Hoss

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish it was that easy. These mirrors have a molded plastic mounting bracket on the back and edges and there is no way I could see to just get new glass cut to the proper shape and fit it to the bracket.

Rob

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That has been a problem, if you look on some sites GWRRA, E-BAY etc. some times you can find a set for sale by some one that replaced them with the MUTH mirrors. Or if the glass is cracked you could get these for $83.00, I had a set on my 02 and they are great. They stick on top of the old mirror glass and is one big blind spot mirror.
http://www.multivexmirror.net/Details.asp?ProdID=32&category=2,

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with Honda's corporate office in California. They looked up the part and confirmed "Yes, you have to buy an entire mirror assy to get the glass part".

They have no clue why it is this way and they have no way of escalating the issue. The guy tells me they track complaints and this sounds like a new complaint. I told him you can not order the glass mirror for any 2001 - 2010 Wing so this can't be a new issue.

"Sorry, nothing can be done"

Bet my complaint went right in the trash.

Love the Wing but this issue has my blood boiling.

Rob

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are several things on different bikes that way. My grandson lost 1 of the spring clips that hold in the light bulb on his 1800 vtx. So i just thought I would order 1; couldn't be much. Wrong, you have to buy the front inner light assby.. $205 and there is not a grantee it is included with the price.

dd

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I remember on m my 1500 there was a little button that you pushed to reset the trip meter, the button had a rubber boot on it, when it got dried out and cracked you had to buy the glass speedo face cover to get that 25 cent rubber boot. Honda has a way of not knowing about problems no matter how many times they are reported. Look how long it took them to have a recall on the frame issue, over heating, and saddle bag latches on the 1800 Gold Wings.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Try buying a fuel lid or the fuel door whatever you want to call it. I damaged mine the second day i picked it up new, because here in Australia they whack on a ugly orange sticker on top of the lid to tell you to fill up with Unleaded fuel only(how stupid is that because thats all we have). It is such an ugly sticker that i was compelled to take it off with a little heat. These are made not to come off and yes i scraped a little of the paint off as well @#$%. Ok ring up Honda for a new one , i mean its only a piece of painted plastic , Yep $340.00 ausd worth. So i rang a dealer in California and they wanted $175.00 usd plus shipping of $60.00 usd to Australia. I mean what gives its only a piece of plastic 4inches by 4 inches and painted, give me a break. At the moment i put a chrome surround around it with a Goldwing emblem, $55. Thanks honda

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the Muth mirrors today. VERY NICE! LED turnsignals in the mirror are very bright and being able to adjust the mirrors is a nice bonus over the stock mirrors! Easy install - spent all of 30 minutes for both sides.

If you are on the fence about buying these mirrors with built in signals, just do it. They are much better than stock (even without the black plastic trim like the OEM mirrors). I got the blue glare reducing ones and they really work as advertised. A little bit more $$, but I think they are worth it.

One other thing. Muth has done away with the "Objects may appear closer than ......" text that used to be stenciled on them.

Got mine from CycleMaxOhio. Excellent service and super fast shipping! If you call them, ask for Gary!

Rob

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I installed the Muth mirrors today. VERY NICE! LED turnsignals in the mirror are very bright and being able to adjust the mirrors is a nice bonus over the stock mirrors! Easy install - spent all of 30 minutes for both sides.

If you are on the fence about buying these mirrors with built in signals, just do it. They are much better than stock (even without the black plastic trim like the OEM mirrors). I got the blue glare reducing ones and they really work as advertised. A little bit more $$, but I think they are worth it.

One other thing. Muth has done away with the "Objects may appear closer than ......" text that used to be stenciled on them.

Got mine from CycleMaxOhio. Excellent service and super fast shipping! If you call them, ask for Gary!

Rob
I would love to adjust my mirrors out a bit. I almost broke one trying because I didn't believe they were not adjustable. I'm going window shopping at CycleMax. The signals indicators look like a nice lighted addition. Sorry you had to find out, but I'm glad you did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts