Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking about buying this item for my GL1800:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/IMID/3769

I am concerned this trim piece will hit the windshield, or stop me from raising the front fairing piece it attaches to. The fairing piece I refer to is attached to the bike via one nut on each side near the mirrors. There is also one bolt underneath in the center that secures the metal frame. The part hinges upwards, like a car hood. I have raised mine, removed the hinge nut on each side and removed the fairing piece to replace the windshield.

Contacted Kury. They told me not to raise the fairing once their trim piece is installed, just remove it. I explained you have to raise it to remove the nut underneath in the center above the headlights.

The guy tells me this part is NOT hinged and does not unbolt as I explained. I was speechless. I explained I had replaced the windshield recently and I knew how this piece is attached. He told me he was not going to argue about it. WHAT? Who's arguing? I dropped the discussion.

He said they have sold a bunch of them and no one has complained.

Is this how all of Kury's tech support people are? I'm not impressed. Obviously the guy has no clue how the fairing piece works on a GL1800.

If you have this Kury item on your GL1800, could you tell me, is it possible to raise the fairing without the trim piece hitting the windshield?

Rob

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm not sticking up for the guy at Kury but when I changed the windshield on my 02 I took the windshield garnish off, unbolt it from the two bolts on the side behind the mirrors and pull it forward and it will come off. No need to pivot it. A friend of mine bought that piece from Kury and he is very disappointed on how it fits. It is held on with 2 way tape and the unit is not curved as much as the piece it attaches to so there are gaps on each end where the tape didn't stick.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I spoke to an 1800 owner who had the Kury rear deflector but not the windscreen. His statement contained some colourful expletives regarding the windscreen mounting problems. P.O.S. was one of the milder ones.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe,
I've had decent luck with Kury parts before but was turned off by the guy I spoke to about this trim piece.
I'm guessing the 2010 has a different mounting system for the fairing piece than the '02 you worked on if you only had to remove the nuts on the ends?
Here is video I used when I put my F4 on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWVwcjdng3M&feature=player_embedded#!
It shows you how to remove the fairing piece. On my '10 I needed a 10mm and 8mm socket. There is a 10mm nut on each end near the mirrors, and an 8mm bolt in the center. At about 2 minutes into the video you will see the 8mm bolt.
I guess you could remove the nuts on each end, pull the fairing up and forward a bit (try not to bend the metal hinge assembly), then open the front to get to the 8mm bolt. I was worried about this Kury trim piece binding against or hitting the windshield when I rotated the fairing up if I had to do future work like add LED's to the air scoop etc.
The tech support guy did say it was held on with tape and that once it set for 24 hours, it was next to impossible to remove without damaging the fairing paint. Also fit is important to me and I wondered about that too.

Based on what I have read around the 'net, I think I will skip this add-on.

Thanks for the replies Joe and Budoka!
Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the LED exhaust tips and sent one back to fix/replace a small segment of LED's. Kury called said we don't make/carry those anymore. They sent me a NEW catalog in the mail, whats on the front cover, a Wing with the LED tail . Also shows it five (5) time in different parts of catalog. So whats up with these folks..........:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts