Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 1800 idle is not steady. It has started to go up and down. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen. I have 23,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I think I would try to reset the ECM. Here is how to do it.........

Your ECM more than likely just needs to be reset. Here is a very simple procedure for doing that. Note that you cannot use the throttle at all during this process or it will not reset the ECM. With a cold engine, start the bike and let it run until it reaches normal operating temperature. Listen for the cooling fans to kick on. Let them cycle through one cooling phase and when the fans shut off, turn the bike off. The next time you start the bike, it should be running more smoothly.

Hope this is your problem and this helps !!

Ride Safe Always !

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
How far up and down? It's my understanding that idle speed wavers a bit normally. Mine does. Not enough to even notice on the tach, but certainly enough to hear.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
idle

I don't know what the range is, but will look next time it does it. two weeks ago, it died on me making a turn. Thought maybe I need new plugs. 23,000 miles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine did that when it was new. After 8000 miles or so, it stopped. I have 43K on it now (2010 GL1800) and just pulled 2 of my plugs. They were fine. If you reset the ECM, give it a little while to see if it stops. It might have to re-sense things to get it's mind straight.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
One of our members had a severe surging issue reaching as high as 2500 rpm if I recall. He's over in Germany and he was having lots fo trouble getting it sorted. Haven't heard from him an quite a while. None of the GL's we've sold or had in for any servicing have had the 'surge' so I haven't experienced it personally. Typically the idl;e will surge from the standard 850-ish rpm up to around 1500 and cycle that way for a bit and then settle down from what I've been told. The ECU reboot is the only fix I've heard of from Honda.

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P) 2006 Victory Vegas
58 Posts
I think I would try to reset the ECM. Here is how to do it.........

Your ECM more than likely just needs to be reset. Here is a very simple procedure for doing that. Note that you cannot use the throttle at all during this process or it will not reset the ECM. With a cold engine, start the bike and let it run until it reaches normal operating temperature. Listen for the cooling fans to kick on. Let them cycle through one cooling phase and when the fans shut off, turn the bike off. The next time you start the bike, it should be running more smoothly.

Hope this is your problem and this helps !!

Ride Safe Always !
Man, I am glad to have read this and discovered the ECM reset; THANKS for posting that!

Reactions: NREMTP
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.