Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the bike and it howls from somewhere .2008 and has 27000 miles on it. Going in a straight line it howls but when doing quick back and forth banks it is even louder. I assumed it was the tire issue I keep reading about but now am thinking it is in the drive train. Did not get a manual with the bike. It was also in an accident with a deer. I saw pictures and it looked not to bad but who knows. Any ideas. Can someone tell me where the final drive oil check point is.
Thanks for any info
Bill

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
You can check the final drive at the rear end. There is a drain plug on the bottom and a fill hole on the top. Take the top plug out and place your finger in there should be oil on the tip of your finger if it's full.

As far as the howling, what brand of tire are you running on the Wing? Different tires create different sounds when riding in a straight line or cornering.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
The tranny's are not super quiet on these bikes.Fifth gear is the quietest, thank goodness. Tires produce most of the " howling " and it doesn't take long for a new set of tire to get noisy. Put 41 psi in the front and rear tires. I have noticed this phenomenon : Riding solo with suspension setting at max. 25, the tires are noisier on the leans than a setting at 18. Final drive lube ? Looking at the final gear case at the rear wheel hub, the drain bolt is at 6 o'clock and the fill cap/ bolt is about 9 o'clock. With the bike on the center stand, remove the fill cap/ bolt and if you can get you pinkie into the hole and get some grease on it the level is fine. When you fill it , it's to the point where the grease just starts to dribble back out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are elite 3 tires on the bike. Look about 1/2 to 3/4 wore out. I am putting new tires on and hopefully that will be the problem. Will post result after the tires go on.
Thanks for the location of the gear oil check,
Bill

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The E3's will howl on straight roads and get louder in the corners, When you put new tires on put on Bridgestones 709 front and 704 rear. If you want to correct the speedo and odometer error put a 702 on the rear it's a 70 series and will correct the error. This is the 702 after 9,000 miles on my08

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Joe that's about the same wear I have on my '09 (OEM D250) at the same mileage. Tires are much more vocal in the corners than it was a couple thou earlier, but not what I'd call a howl yet. I'd bet money that buyarbi's noise is a combination of gear whine, tire song, and a slim possibility of rear diff noise. Some fresh blood in the diff won't hurt anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the final drive fluid. Put the standard 85/90 gear oil in. The oil dripped out the fill hole plug when I took it out so it was not low but black dirty. It seemed I put more in than I took out. Just kept putting the oil in till it ran out the fill hole and put the lid on. I was not thinking when I changed it though.
Should have ran through the gears while on the center stand BEFORE I changed the oil and then again after to get an indication of any variance in sound. But I didnt and only listened to the bike after changing oil.
Did not seem loud on the stand but there was the distant hint of the sound I am hearing on the road.
I ordered Bridgestone 704 and 709 for replacement tires a week ago and after I put them on I hope to report some happy face news.
Spotted 2 grease nipples on the case a couple of inches from the fill hole. What do they supply grease to.
Are there any other grease locations on these.
Went to the local honda dealer here and thay cant find a 2008 goldwing service manual. Is there one out there that anyone could recomend.
I know I am getting off topic a bit but other newbys that follow may find it helpfull too.
Thanks again for any input
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cant seem to find anything on that site. Closest I found was 2001/2005. I will look at wingstuff
Found one on wingstuff 2006/2010

Many Thanks
Bill

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The only grease zerks I can see are on the brake caliper. There are bearings in the drive shaft and in the housing, but I don't see any zerks for greasing them. Didn't really get into it that deep just kind of skimmed it while I had a couple moments to spare. The manual is very large and detailed so it may take some time to fully study the final drive. Check the trouble shooting page(s) of all sections that pertain to the final drive and you should gain some insight there. Honda only produced the one service manual for '06-'10 Wings so you got the right one from Wingstuff.
The gears inside the rear drive have a colour patch on the teeth (as all difs are supposed to) to tell if the teeth are aligned properly as they mesh during rotation. Unfortunately the outer case at least has to come off to inspect the wear pattern. Too much colour loss to one side or the other indicates mis-alignment or problems, but that's unlikely with a bike as new as yours, though not impossible. A good indicator is when you drain the fluid that was in it. Dark fluid (or even blackish as yours was) doesn't necessarily mean internal problems, but certainly it was time to change it. Metal filings however are a different thing altogether. YOu have likely disposed of your old fluid already, but if not, but on a surgical or mechanic's nitrile glove and dip a finger into the fluid in the bottom of the container (any particulate will settle to the bottom) and rub your finger and thumb together to see if any filings are present. If there are, you may have some excessive and un-natural wear happening.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still have the old fluid and will check it. I found a download service manual and am scanning it to see what I can. It is still sparse in some areas re info though. I will still get the 06/10 paper manual. Big learning curve in progress.
Thanks budoka
Bill

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
The only grease zerks I can see are on the brake caliper.
:confused: I don't think you will find any zerks grease fittings on a brake caliper. I think what you see that looks like Zerks are really the pressure releases for bleeding the brakes. They look just like Zerks but they are hollow and allow the brake fluid to squirt out when turned CCW. The last thing you would ever want is bearing grease in your calipers. Check that out before you hook a grease gun to those. :eek:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Good call DW, I was just looking at the grainey photos on the online manual, and yes they would be the bleed valves (duh).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for watching over me guys. I have this grease gun in hand and want to use it on something. Are there any zerk grease points on this bike at all.
Bill

·
Registered
263 Posts
No Howl yet

I guess I'm lucky so far. Since buying the Wing brand new in '08 I've only had a rear trunk latch issue and coolant reserve tank leak - both under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hidy ho comander k
I am a tinkerer and cant help taking things apart or at least finding out how they work so it is part of the fun for me. I have found that these bikes have 4 different types of grease requirements . Damed if I can find out where any of them go yet. This service manual I downloaded is flipping HUGE.
Happy riding
Bill:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put the bridgestone 704 and 709 on and it handles a bunch better. It now does not want to flop over when doing a uturn and is also quieter. But there is still the underlying white noise howl . Although not very loud it is just at the tone that makes listening to the radio quite anoying. I dont listen to music on a ride anyway so it is no biggy. But it is there none the less.
Bill

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just put a new set of Bridgestones on my 08 and noticed the same thing regarding wanting to flop over when turning. Mine got over it within 100 miles. I not sure if the handling changed or I got used to it, but it is not long an attention getter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts