Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently became the proud owner of a 2006 GL1800 - my first bike in about 25 years! The bike is in great shape, but the knob on the left side to adjust the aim of the headlights doesn't seem to do anything. Is this a common problem? Is there a common fix or a couple places I should look? Thanks for any advice!

Bob G.

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
You may have a bad headlight adjuster switch, there is a gray connector (14-P) under the left storage compartment. You could also have a loose connection or corrosion on the pins and socket.
You test the switch through the following wires, yellow/red and blue/green there must be a resistance value of 4.0-6.0 ohms; if not switch is bad and must be replaced.
Test 2 is between blue/green and yellow/blue the resistance in ohms should vary, if not switch bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks RMS - went out to tear it apart and check Trike Lady's testing, was sure I had tried those light while it was running - but just in case. Yep - They work fine when the engine is running.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Bob G.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Light Adjuster

I just purchased an '07 GW and I thought the same thing. But, if you will aim at a wall so you can see any change and then adjust the light, I think you will see it move...I thought it was mechanical and couldn't see the movement at first, but it is electrical and there is a lag between the moving of the knob and the movement of the light.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Don't know about the rest of you, but I had to adjust my low beams up because the factory setting was way too low, even with the adjuster set to the highest position. Aimed them at the wall and watched them climb as I ratcheted them up. Got lucky because they were perfect the next time I rode after dark.

·
Registered
81 Posts
not to be a [email protected]@, but make sure the bike is running when you see if they are moving when you change the dial. somehow I learned this the hard way.
Yep, I bet there was alot of us that learned it this way. You tend to remember too when you learn things this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Don't know about the rest of you, but I had to adjust my low beams up because the factory setting was way too low, even with the adjuster set to the highest position. Aimed them at the wall and watched them climb as I ratcheted them up. Got lucky because they were perfect the next time I rode after dark.
Just in case anyone wants to know:

HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE

Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed under the front of the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!
A lot of newer vehicles do not have the ability to change the right to right position of the headlamps as the inherant design and build is normally "close enough".
Just insure the hot stops of the upper lamp beams are not aimed into the on-coming lane and you're good to go.

Aiming the low beams to where you think you get the best lighting may make the upper beams aimed illegally in a lamp that contains both high and low beam bulbs and they are not independantly adjustable.
In any case, upper or lower beam hot spots must not be aimed above horizontal(actuall a little below) or you stand the chance of blinding on coming vehicle drivers.
If anyone wants to look up the aiming laws, they are contained within FMVSS paragraph 108(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I came across this thread looking for answers to my right headlight adjuster running continuously when I fired up the bike. I unplugged the headlight adjustment switch and it stopped. I did a resistance check on the switch and it looks like it’s junk. I guess it’s off to the salvage yard, since Honda will only sell me the entire panel for about $250.

2004 GL1800

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Did you test the headlight adjuster motor itself?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts