Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like recommendations of replacement tires for my 08' goldwing please. I'm nearing 18K on the original Dunlops. I am used to the Elite 3 tires on my 98' Aspencade and like them. The Dunlops have performed rather well, but am considering buying Elite 3s as replacements. What would y'all recommend?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Your going to get a lot advice on this one, but in the end it will break down to one of these:

Dunlop OEM
Dunlop E3
Bridgestone
Metzler

All have those for and against. Your choice, your $$.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'm the Metzeler rider. I have about 6,000 mi. on the rear and about 1,000 mi. on the front. She whines a bit in the turns now. Doesn't take long to break them in. There is nothing like the feel of a new tire, however long that feeling lasts. When I look at it from a calender date perspective, the rear was just installed in June and seems like yesterday. From a mileage perspective, 6,000 miles would equate to crossing the U.S. and back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posted this same request on two other boards and got lots of suggestions. Has anybody ever used a car tire on the rear of the bike?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Posted this same request on two other boards and got lots of suggestions. Has anybody ever used a car tire on the rear of the bike?
Yes and no for me. The OEM Dunlop I just took off was kinda shaped like a Car Tire so technically, yes. :D
That sucker had most of the wear in the center and had a huge contact patch. I got the new ROUND Bridgestone on there and I had to learn to ride again!:eek:

On a serious note, NO, I have not but I have been wanting to try it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bridgstone

I have had Dunlop E3's and Avon Cobra's didn't like ether one now have Bridgestone's and so far they are the best I ever had on any bike.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Joe in California likes the 'stones for his 1800 too. I'm curious about the Avon Cobras but haven't made a decision yet, don't need 'em until about next June or so.

·
Registered
263 Posts
18k, WOW that's some good milelage. I thought I did good with 16k. I went with the E3's about 4.5k's ago. So far, no complaints.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm buying the Stones, perhaps as early as this weekend. A very knowledgable salesman at a local dealer recommended them hands down over the Dunlops. Said he's tried every brand out there but his bike "came alive" when he switched to Bridgestones.

Hey Chope, did ya notice the color of Winger98's avatar? Great looking bike, eh! ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm buying the Stones, perhaps as early as this weekend. A very knowledgable salesman at a local dealer recommended them hands down over the Dunlops. Said he's tried every brand out there but his bike "came alive" when he switched to Bridgestones.

Hey Chope, did ya notice the color of Winger98's avatar? Great looking bike, eh! ;)
Always preferred black before this one. I got a great price on it and find that I really like the color as well. My wife thinks of it as her bike. She never did that before.:cool:

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Many of us have flirted with the idea. I rode with a fellow last Sunday who had one on his Valkyrie . First time I had personally met a Darksider. He was positive about it and most of his remarks focused on the differece in feel that one had to accept and tolerate. He's a very aggressive rider ( and didn't mind bragging about it ) and all I can say is that I didn't see any damaged parts on his bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey Joe I used to run Avon Venoms on another bike and really liked them, but the Cobra's I put on my Wing were so bad I thought the bearing's went out. Worst tire I ever ran on any bike I ever had.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the D250s, the rear seems to slip a bit when I lean hard. I never had that with the E3s. On the 1500 the E3s didn't give me as good mileage, usually around 12K for the rear. I tend to check air pressure every time I pull out of the garage. Are the Stones, Avons or Metzlers better performing and/or longer lived tires?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Waiting with bated breath, Radarsdad. Want to know your impression.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well, I must say I'm very impressed so far. I only rode for about 10 miles after the install with only two miles of that on the freeway, but at 75, it was much smoother and quieter than the OEM Dunlops. I did notice a big improvement in the way it responds in the turns, but that may just be because the Dunlops were a little flat at the center of the tread.

The bike is so nimble now, I only thought about doing some zigzags on the freeway and before I knew it, the bike was weaving on its own :D I hope to get it back out Sunday morning for a Lotto ticket run to So Cal. Will update you further if I do.

I'm not sure how others feel about replacing the tire valves, but I've always replaced them with new tires. After the salesman wrote the work order with the valves, I asked him if customers typically replace them and he replied "not usually, it just depends on the mileage." I was beginning to think I wasted $25 until I overheard the salesman telling another customer he needed a new valve. Seems the guy had ridden his bike about two miles to the dealer with a flat tire.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I must say I'm very impressed so far. I only rode for about 10 miles after the install with only two miles of that on the freeway, but at 75, it was much smoother and quieter than the OEM Dunlops. I did notice a big improvement in the way it responds in the turns, but that may just be because the Dunlops were a little flat at the center of the tread.

The bike is so nimble now, I only thought about doing some zigzags on the freeway and before I knew it, the bike was weaving on its own :D I hope to get it back out Sunday morning for a Lotto ticket run to So Cal. Will update you further if I do.

I'm not sure how others feel about replacing the tire valves, but I've always replaced them with new tires. After the salesman wrote the work order with the valves, I asked him if customers typically replace them and he replied "not usually, it just depends on the mileage." I was beginning to think I wasted $25 until I overheard the salesman telling another customer he needed a new valve. Seems the guy had ridden his bike about two miles to the dealer with a flat tire.
Keep me posted. Thank you.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Keep me posted. Thank you.
Finally made it out for a ride on Friday to test the new Stones. I like 'em! They're very quiet, ride really smooth and respond quickly in the twisties. Barring any issues during the next 10-20K, I'll definitely be buying Stones at the next replacement interval.

They did nothing however as far as the air temperature during the ride, which was as low as 37, and maxed out at 49 towards the end of the ride with an average of 45. Probably doesn't even phase you New Englanders, but 230 miles at 45 degrees for a desert rat like me is pretty noteworthy. Chaps, sweatshirt, heavy leather jacket and open-fingered gloves with an attached pull-over finger cover kept me comfortable. I placed an air activated heat pad (the one's they sell near the registers at Wal-mart) in each glove finger cover to keep the backs of my fingers toasty as well.

Oh yeah, where was I... buy the Stones!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any additional information?:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts