Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
08 gl1800 front wheel edge is bent slightly on left side. No tire damage and really even unsure when it occured. Noticed today when detailing the bike to get ready for sale. Is it possible for this to be fixed (machine shop?) or should I go ahead and replace? Any suggestions on used or good prices on wheels? Im in Birmingham AL. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry your first post is a problem. Does the tire hold pressure? When you say "slight" is the rim bent or just turned up on the end. It may be the it does not even affect the tire. If you have/want to get a replacement you might check with some one who does or has recently had a trike conversion. Most of the time they have the rear wheels for sale, but sometimes they have custom wheels put on the front as well. Good luck, and sorry you are selling your Wing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You. Yes the tire holds pressure as normal. I added a pic of the wheel. Your description was dead on. The edge is turned up on the end. Just wondering about safety and if I should repair or just sell as is. I sold my wing about a year ago and this one is my dads that I am selling for him due to he is having some health issues. Any thoughts from the pic?

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Seems your choices are
1. Sell as is (perhaps taking a few $$ off price so new owner can fix).
2. Replace the rim.

OR

I wondering, since the wheels are aluminum, if a "little persuasion" would work. Perhaps a 2x4 wrapped in soft towel, followed by a few hits with a hammer could bring back in line. You don't want to put too much force into it and bend the rim. Don't know if it would work, and perhaps others on the board can chime in, but if you don't want to knock off $$ or replace yourself it may be a solution.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Two wheel king, it looks like a front wheel so trike conversion won't help him. But there are always a few on e-bay for sale, or try a salvage yard, or just knock off a little on the price and tell the new owner about it. They might not care as long as it holds air. Unless you do the labor yourself it will probably you a lot to replace it, after you buy the rim then you have the cost of mounting the tire on it and mounting it on the bike, plus the cost of bearings.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Caution is the key here Thomp. It might be able to be fixed, but since it is cast aluminum you need to watch out for fracturing if you go for the repair. Best to talk to someone that has some experience in this area to be sure. My vote would be to replace the wheel. I'd buy the bike as is if I were looking and the price was equitable for needing a new hoop. I certainly wouldn't ride on the damaged one. Also sorry you left the Wing family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have gotten some good feedback and was able to locate 2 reputable wheel repair locations that have hundreds of references for prices around $100-150. Looks like the replace and install is gonna run me about $500-550. Still unsure which way im going to go yet. Going to gather some more info.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Front Wheel

I just saw a front wheel on ebay for $100 and it has the front tire on the bike.

Might try that, good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raider, I cant find any gl1800 wheels and have tried searching with all kinds of words. You wouldnt happen to have a link or maybe what you used to search for?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts