Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this for a friend who owns a 2003 GL1800 with 48K miles.

Last weekend, a group of us met for a ride to Southern Utah and when one of my friends arrived at the rendezvous point, his bike had developed a vibration at idle with what sounded like a "bad bearing" type noise coming from somewhere near the front timing chain cover (kind of a grinding/rumbling noise).

When he tried to start it at the gas pump, he had to press the starter button 3-4 times before it would start cranking over (this was the first time this has happened). Then, it would idle slightly higher than normal for 10-15 seconds, then idle down to normal rpm. The engine would make the noise only when it idled down to the lower RPM. If the engine was throttled up 100-200 RPM, the noise/vibration would disappear. Not sure why the starter started acting weird at the same time the noise/vibration started but I have to assume the two are related somehow.

He rode it to a local dealer and they said they'd never heard of a Goldwing making this type of noise and vibration before and they would have to call Honda Technical Support. He has the Honda Extended Warranty that expires in May, 2010. When the dealer contacted him a day or two later, they told him the cost would be $3300 to remove, repair and reinstall the engine and only then could they determine what repairs are covered under warranty.

I told him to contact the Regional Honda Rep to see if this is standard procedure for getting warranty work done or whether the motorcycle dealers in Vegas are just as crooked as the car dealers.

I'm considering the factory extended warranty for my '08 but if this is the kind of service I can expect, I'll have to think long and hard about it.

Has anyone else heard of a GL1800 acting this way?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
First of all I don't think Honda would let the dealer pull the engine before they know what the problem is. They are probably saying that in case they are wrong and Honda won't cover the repair. The only time I have seen Honda not cover a repair is when the bike has excessive mileage, I know it's a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty but if you have 100,000 miles on an 08 Honda would say it's excessive, but with that low of mileage on an 03 there should be no problem with it being covered by Honda. Could be the alternator bearing, they have been known to go out and cause vibration. And the motor has to be removed to replace it, have your friend take pictures of every panel on the bike if he drops it off at the shop. If it's that big of a repair the hole bike has to be torn apart and pictures would be his only hope in getting damage to the bike done by the dealer repaired. A friend had this happen to his 05 and it was all scratched when he got it back, the pictures saved him and the dealer had to replace a bunch of plastic on the bike.
Here is the number for Honda America if your friend wants to talk to someone there for help on this situation. 1-800-999-1009

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe! I'll relay that info to my friend and have him start watching this thread for additonal comments when he gets home from vacation. Being a native Las Vegan (52 yrs), I've yet to meet an honest car, truck, motorcycle, RV, ATV or boat dealer in the valley. Whether it's sales or service, they're all terrible to deal with!

Now that I've got that off my chest, can anyone recommend a Honda dealer close to Vegas that's honest and dependable? My friend plans to pick his Wing up at the local dealer when he returns and will be looking for an alternate repair facility. Hopefully, Honda America can help him out as well.

I've decided that if my bike ever needs repairs, I'm gonna load it on a trailer and take it to a qualified repair facility.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sad news... My friend called Honda today and explained the engine noise with them. Supposedly, they would not give him a straight answer regarding what was and was not covered by the extended warranty other than to say they'll repair manufacturer defects, but "normal wear-and-tear items" are not covered.

Apparently, the engine is a "normal wear and tear" part of the bike according to the folks he talked to. Or, perhaps because his warranty expires in May, they just don't want to live up to their end of the bargain.

Bottom line is he's picking the bike up from the dealer and will try to determine the cause of the noise himself. Hopefully it's something simple. With all the positive threads about extended warranties, I wonder why he's getting the run-around by Honda???

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
I would tell your friend to find another dealer or contact Honda directly. Something is not right here. Engine failure is not "normal wear and tear" especially if it has been maintained and only has 48k on it. Many Wing engines have well over 100k without failure..

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess Honda is like most huge corporations today(very greedy and spineles).What ever happen to honesty and intergerity.
I do wish your freind the best!
Donald Lang

1 - 6 of 6 Posts