Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a thread on another forum about a gl1500 efi conversion. What do you all think about it? I'm thinking about it because it seems like it would be a fun project and I'm looking to get more hp and adding turbo. I have looked online and found a hole used efi system for around $400.00. The fab work I can handle but don't know a lot about efi. I know turbos like efi better and designing custom intake for efi and turbos is less complicated. The air flow improvement would also be greatly improved. My mother is going into a Japanese mini truck so I will have a lot more space to deal with. So what do you all think?

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
i read about some guy on steve saunders forum putting the 1800 efi on a 1500 motor. sounds like a good idea but with all the time and effort envolved just using the 1800 motor would a: give you efi and b: give you more power with less head and heart-ake

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true. It's hard to find gl1800 for a good price. I just got my gl1500 with 56,000 miles on it for $350. I'm not planning major engine mods right away. I always like to find out all the posabilatys. My stock mini truck has a stock hp of 45hp so bumping it up to 100 stock is cool. My end goul is 200 hp and efi will make it simpler to get thare. Turbo carbarated engines never works out great.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Soundds like a fair big job, hope it all works out.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
the ports on a 1500 head are different than the ports on an 1800, he has that hurdle to jump first. with 300cc more displacementwill the computer adjust so his 1500 motor is not running rich? then there is the intake and the sensors and wiring

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Lots of conversions done in the auto dept from carb to EFI, should be doable on a Wing. Question is what cost and what size job? Lots to consider.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
Lots of conversions done in the auto dept from carb to EFI, should be doable on a Wing. Question is what cost and what size job? Lots to consider.
on a tintop you can just go get a mega-squirt system, tintops are way more universal than bikes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the project begins. I picked up half a gl1500 today. It was a tike that the shop I got it from just wanted the trike kit off of it. So we bouth got what we wanted. An added bonuse is that were interested on my project and willing to give me some help. I have been researching this build for months now with not much support its great to finally find a group of peaple supporting the unusual and different. Do for all the peaple that ever wondered how much hp you could get out of a gl1500 this ones for you. She going to fly or fly or apart this I'm sure of but I have high hopes this wings going to fly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts