Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These seat bolts are the cat's meow to prevent cross-threading when putting the seat back on.

http://wingstuff.com/products/33306-easy-mount-gl1800-seat-bolt-set?sitesync=done

They are longer 3/4"-1" than the stock GL1500 seat bolts, but they are the right diameter and pitch. I replaced my stock bolts with these. I added a regular metal washer to each bolt and they snug up just fine. The reason being that the seat bolt receptacles on the Gl1500 are open on both ends.

I take my seat off more than most folks probably - to readjust the beaded topper on the seat or add a battery tender outlet or just to clean the bike well, so removing the threat of cross-threading and making it much easier to "find' the bolt holes was worth the $15 for these bolts.
Greg

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
The link Greg indicates they're for an 1800 and it appears you're installing on a 1500. I suppose they work on both bikes?

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
I've been going to get a set of these for my bike and keep forgetting them when I order stuff. They're on my wish list now, along side the BikeMP3 CB

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The link Greg indicates they're for an 1800 and it appears you're installing on a 1500. I suppose they work on both bikes?
As I mentioned, they are longer than the stock 1500 bolts. I put a metal washer on each and they work fine. One exception - you can use the plastic bolt caps any more with a metal washer on the bolt. However, I suppose you could add the washer(s) between the seat and the bolt hole and then you'd be able to reuse the plastic bolt caps.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
As I mentioned, they are longer than the stock 1500 bolts. I put a metal washer on each and they work fine. One exception - you can use the plastic bolt caps any more with a metal washer on the bolt. However, I suppose you could add the washer(s) between the seat and the bolt hole and then you'd be able to reuse the plastic bolt caps.
Longer is good for me. My Corbin seat is wider than the stock and I barely get it threaded and it starts to cinch up. I know I am not cross threaded, it is just a long way in there.

So deep in fact I hear an echo when I get pissed about not being able to find the hole.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought a set of the pointed bolts/screws for my 2010 Wing and they work out great. I also recomend buying the bungee cord clips too, for those who strap gear in the passenger seat while travelling. I think I got my from Wingstuff.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
I've got the special seat bolts designed for the 1500 and use them with the stock seat, switching to the Corbin seat I had to use the OEM.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your supposed to bolt the seat down??? LOL
Ha! When I first bought the bike there were some problems, one of which was either a charging or battery problem. I had to jump start it so many times, I left the bolts off the seat so I could get to the battery. A week later, I bit the bullet and bought a new battery after figuring out how to check the charging integrity. I was then able to put bolts back in the seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts