Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had any problem with my '01 GL1800 (30k miles) until this past weekend when the cruise control started acting up.

First, it would not engage with the lower button (coast). After several tries it would engage, the panel cruise light would come on and it would work normally for a few miles and then drop out for no apparent reason. Asked riders behind me and no one noticed brake lights. Am running one of the 'BackOff' flashers.

Checked clutch and brake switches and see no physical issues. Before I start tearing into the CC switch unit anyone got any obvious solutions? Searches of this and other sites produced no definative answers.

Thanks for any assistance.

TestPoint

·
Registered
103 Posts
Checked clutch and brake switches and see no physical issues. Before I start tearing into the CC switch unit anyone got any obvious solutions? Searches of this and other sites produced no definative answers.

Thanks for any assistance.

TestPoint
I read on one of the other boards that you might want to try some of the electrical spray cleaner on the switch. If that doesn't work, you'll have to take the switch apart and clean it by hand. I recommend a service manual if you're going to do your own wrenching.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Do you hear 1 click or 2? Next time push out just a little on the clutch lever and try to set the cruise control, then try the same thing with the front brake lever, if that works either replace the switch (about $15.00) or spray contact cleaner into it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
havent used my CC for 2yrs tried useing it on a 500 miles trip, top amber light comes on but no green light for accell or decell .What gives Someone unhook battery it will reset its self. this is on a 05,1800

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
I have had a problem with the switch sticking on my bike, not engaging. WD-40 fixed my issues. I would spray all the cruise switches first and then see what happens.

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
I wouldn't use WD 40...Not good for electrical components....

Did you check your foot brake switch as well?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I wouldn't use WD 40...Not good for electrical components....

Did you check your foot brake switch as well?

WD-40 tends to allow gunk to build back up. Electrical contact cleaner does not do that, in my experience. Just be sure to have a rag in your hand under whatever you're spraying to catch the drips. Paint hates contact cleaner. Lol

Wings! Wings! It's all about Wings!!

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Yall use what you want. Its not usually the electrical components in the switch, its the mechanical action of the "clicker" in there. Like I said, whatever works for ya.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
If admission is the first step to recovery, I confess to being a WD-40 abuser.
Lubrication lubrication lubrication its all about Lubrication.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Reactions: Cantankerous
1 - 11 of 11 Posts