Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting too old for sport biking and need something more comfortable. Am considering a used GL1500 or GL1800. From what I've read, the 1800 was a significant upgrade to the 1500. But I like the look of the 1500 a lot more, and used ones are more affordable. What are the significant differences between the two? I'm wondering about power, comfort, handling, and maintenance in particular. BTW I've never owned a Wing, and I still have lots of "sports bike" left in me (i.e. power and performance are important). I'm 6-3, 180 lbs. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Peter

·
Banned
3,175 Posts

Welcome to the GWOF from Seattle.

What ever floats your boat. I ride the cheapest wing there ever was.... the Interstate (94 1500) and I enjoy it. I would keep my 1500 until I was sure that I liked the 1800..... if I ever buy an 1800.

There are differences in the two. Some people prefer the 1500.... some the 1800. The front tire is the same size.... other than that, they are different.

We really enjoy detailed ride reports with pictures... so whatever bike you do buy, be sure to post pictures on here.

If you post in your profile where you are from, we would be able to see that.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
pete,

1500 is a bit more plush ride, a little top heavy, are carburated & a bit antiquated by todays standard. Having said that they are still one heck of a ride & you can put many many miles on them.

1800 is more of a sport bike feel, lower center of gravity, fuel injected, more power & has some geewhiz stuff like GPS (although some people don't care for factory one).

Here is some good reading for you to help you on your quest.

Good luck & welcome to the site.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
At 6'3" you would probably find the 1500 easier to get cruising comfortable on. It's a compromise of power vs. style and comfort. You can have it all just not all at once.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
If you like the styling of the 1500 and they can be found for very reasonable prices.
While the GL1500 may have twin carbs, it does have hydraulic lifters.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
I'd say try them both if you get the chance and then see which fits you better. Loved my 1500, but I personally wouldn't go back. Welcome to the site:D Where in Alberta are you located?

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I'm 6'2" & 225 and ride a GL1800. Took a bit of getting use to at low speed, but love it.

·
Super Moderator
15,230 Posts
hello pete, welcome to GWOF. get the newest wing you can afford

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
That's our doc Larry, clear and concise as always!

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
That's our doc Larry, clear and concise as always!

One of these days the Doc is going to shock us all, come out of his shell & post more dribble than the Maestro does.:D

Naaahhh only kidding.

·
Banned
3,175 Posts
One of these days the Doc is going to shock us all, come out of his shell & post more dribble than the Maestro does.:D

Naaahhh only kidding.
I think the good doctor uses his two front fore fingers and pecks and pokes the keyboard. So getting the point across in the least amount of key strokes is vital.

We do need his thoughts around here.

·
Super Moderator
15,230 Posts

Naaahhh only kidding.
it will only take six more posting to this thread :D
but nobody here could post as much dribble as the maestro :)

·
Super Moderator
9,880 Posts
I loved my 1500 and love my 1800. You can't go wrong with either one. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Registered
35 Posts
:) GL1500 = Cadillac or GL1800 = Corvette - Your choice.:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts