Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The starter on my GL1500 stopped working. Lights/horn/radio work fine. When I hit the start button, I just hear a single "click". It feels like the "click" is coming from the housing holding the 30A fuse adjacent to the forward-top corner of the battery, but it's hard to tell. I brought the battery home, and it is showing 11.8 volts. I'll try to get the battery checked at an auto parts store, but 11.8 sounds pretty healthy to me. I'm beginning to suspect the starter. I watched Steve Saunder's video on starter removal, and it looks like something I am capable of doing. I also have the Honda shop manual for my Wing. There is a starter rebuild shop near by, so if I get the starter out of the Wing, I assume the shop will be able to check it out and fix it if necessary. Three questions:

1) I assume that, before I pull the starter, I should put the multimeter on the starter, and find out if it is getting voltage when I press the starter button. Is that correct?

2) Do I need to drain the oil before removing the starter?

3) As a new Wing rider, while riding my bike, I have caught myself pressing the starter when I thought I was pressing the cruise control. Could I have trashed the starter by doing that?

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
If your battery is only showing 11.8 volts I'd have it load tested. It could be dropping to 7 volts under load, which won't operate the starter.

·
Registered
718 Posts
At 11.8 volts, I don't think a Goldwing will start. Goldwings don't like any kind of battery problems. I've had a battery go south on me and the bike would fire right up, then die a half mile down the road. Just left led lights on for a couple hours and that drained the battery enough to keep it from starting. Charge battery before digging into the starter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
minimum acceptable battery voltage on GL1500?

If your battery is only showing 11.8 volts I'd have it load tested. It could be dropping to 7 volts under load, which won't operate the starter.
I'll check the voltage under load this weekend, and I'll get the battery load tested at an auto parts store. I'm surprised to hear that 11.8 volts on a 12 volt battery might indicate a weak battery. In your experience, what would be the minimum acceptable voltage for the battery at rest, and the battery when the starter is activated?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 1993 gl1500se great trike but starting this last weekend and then yesterday went for a cruise and came home went to put away awhile later turn key hit starter button and everything goes out with a click from the right side any info is appreciated thanks the guy i bought it from had paperwork for new battery and alternator

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
USMARINE, welcome to the forum. It sounds as though you have a loose or dirty battery connection.

·
Registered
718 Posts
seattleboatguy - normal battery voltage for a 12 volt battery is 12.6 volts. At 11.8 volts it is considered dead or very low charge. May need a battery.

usmarine - since you have a trike, do you still have the sidestand installed? May have bumped the sidestand and it's in gear it won't crank. Or the clutch switch may be dirty. Or reverse switch? Sorry my Interstate doesn't have reverse so I can't tell you much about reverse problems.

Any other ideas trikelady?

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Low voltage, charge battery and load test.
Dirty loose connections, at battery, starter, or solenoid.
also you may want to clean the start button contacts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you de man

You were right, Cantankerous. My problem was nothing that a good trickle charger couldn't fix. And, the auto parts store said the battery itself was still healthy. No new starter required. Thanks! (tell your boss that I said it was okay for you to take the rest of the day off)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts