Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding my 1993 GL1500 for most of the day when after sitting in a parking lot (a motorcycle dealership as luck would have it) I came out to go and battery could not turn the bike over and then completely died. Bought a new battery, starts right up, drove a few miles to get home, and fully charged the new battery. Go out for a ride later that week and the same thing happened. Tested battery, it's fine, issue seems to be the charging system.

Bike still has the OEM alternator and since I don't have a lot of add on lighting and such I thought (w/ just over $100k miles) I probably just needed to replace the alternator with another OEM unit. Got an OEM unit cheap from a member here but when I was looking at the one on my bike trying to test it to be sure I noticed that a part attached to the alternator was broken. I have no idea what it is, tried looking up the numbers on the part (-0283-00 250-0.22 AC- X 26) online with no luck, and the local dealership's parts dept person was of no help at all.

Looking at the attached pictures can anyone tell me: What this part is? Could this broken piece be the cause of my charging problems? Do I need a replacement? If so where can I find one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
It appears to be a capacitor . I wish i could tell you for sure ! I would say if it is attached , it is needed and if it was broken then it is probably your problem, which it isn't. I would try soldering it back to gether and give it a try !!

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Just as an FYI... One of the issues with the GL1500 was the alternator. It was underpowered for all the stuff on the Wing, especially if you had any "add ons" like lights. A lot of folks went to the Compufire Alternator when the OEM one gave them problems. They are about $400+ but most seem really happy they made the switch.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
That is a capacitor and you can re-soldier the the mount back on. At 100,000 miles on the original I would look at replacing the brushes also. OR get a compufire and a sealed battery, yup a little spendy but should see you a long way down the road.
From the Northest corner.
Ron

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
At 100,000 miles and the alternator out you MUST replace the brushes, no questions about it

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
If this 93 Wing is an SE the metal cylindrical component connected to the alternator is an 'Alternator Filter' and it is found only on the SE Model. No for the problem, as Joe said 'Brushes'

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the help.

Hi Trike Lady, I'm the guy who bought your spare OEM alternator for my '93. I've soldered the capacitor/filter back together hoping that will work in case it really is a needed component.

I'm pretty sure my bike's an Aspencade and not an SE as it is solid black (no two tone paint) so I am not sure why it has this alternator filter on it but will keep it on to be safe.

If I swap out my crapped out alternator with the alternator that you sold me I wouldn't have to replace the bushes on it and could get her back up and running that way...correct? (I'll keep the filter/capacitor piece in place just in case)

Thanks again!
Jimmy

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
My 93 Aspencade came with the Capacitor on it and that tab came loose also re-soldered it work great till I replaced it with a Compufire. That capacitor is actually a noise filter to reduce the alternator static in the radio. The Compufire has it build in.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
16 Posts
1993 Alternator problems

Greetings All,

Had my 93' SE alternator go out and within a week my 94' SE did the same. Ordered brushes and bearings for both from Ken Hemmings in PA and got them for $40 total within a week. Had a heck of a time getting the new brush pig tails to go through the holes so I could solder them. Any suggestions? Also, now repaired, I'm showing 13.2 on the voltmeter is that correct for the original Hitachi alt? Both of mine have the noise suppressors but the 94's radio still wines with the alternator, do those suppressors go out? Thanks to everyone on here.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
When I put brushes in the oridginal Alternater about 10 years ago, O pushed a piece of wire into the hole for the brush pig tail and soldier it to the pig tail with just a dab of soldier and pulled the pig tail in that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.