Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get an accessory plug put into my 2000 GL1500 SE so I can listen to my iPod through my radio system while cruising. I know my buddies have this on their 1800's. Does anybody know how to do this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am not sure, but I think in the left pocket there is a wire for that accessory. If not add an FM modulator the kind that is wired in.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Don't think there was any any aux input on the 1500, for that matter don't think the mp3 was even around. The big thing back ten was trying to get a cd changer on the bike.
User the search tab above Badrider, search for ipod or mp3, it will bring up several threads on the subject. I've set up an ipod on my 2000 as lrjackel mentions above.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am trying to get an accessory plug put into my 2000 GL1500 SE so I can listen to my iPod through my radio system while cruising. I know my buddies have this on their 1800's. Does anybody know how to do this.
I checked my service manual again and found it is only the Intersate version that has the aux input wire. The SE and Aspencade do not, that is why I went the Audiovox 100 fm mod. It is fairly easy to install under the seat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could you use one of the cassette adapters to do this? I remember using one of those cassettes with a wire attached to it so I could hook my portable cd player into my car stereo. Wow, I think I just showed my age.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Could you use one of the cassette adapters to do this? I remember using one of those cassettes with a wire attached to it so I could hook my portable cd player into my car stereo. Wow, I think I just showed my age.
If you use a cassette adapter your sound quality will be poor. :(

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Charlie, did you mail your stereo to them? Do you know if I can go directly to where they are located to have them install it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No I did it myself. I'm in Australia and I figured it was way to expensive to mail the radio in. Pretty easy to do, but I've done soldering before. If you have questions I suggest giving them a ring, or e-mailing them. If you have a Mac, you can even talk to them on iChat. I found them really helpful.

Charlie

·
Registered
1 Posts
GriffinTechnology has came out with iTrip, a wireless FM transmitter. Supposedly all you do is plug it in to the bottom of your ipod and tune the radio to an unused station, and your ipod music plays through the motorcycle speakers. Since it's wireless you can put the ipod back in your pocket and truck on. I have one coming and will let you guys know how it works.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripnano

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
If you can find the unit that is a cassette FM transmitter, it looks like a cassette tape and fits in the player, you hook your ipod, CD player to it and it will play through the GL stereo. No need for high $$$ mods to your sound system:)

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi trike lady. its funny you say that because I had a couple of these hanging around the house and tried one last year. It sounded lousy. I am heading out to Americade tomorrow morning and I bought a new on a couple days ago to try again. This time it sounds amazing.
Thanks
I also have a fm tranmitter (made for i-pods) I used, and at first it worked good on the bike I have lot's of problem with it now. It still works good in my car.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
for what it's worth.
Several I know have put this on their bike or boat over the last year.
http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/...__yacht_2_speakers__amplifier__radio_pkg.html

$85 for a 100 watt amp, 2 marine speakers, internal fm (probably not too good considering the antenna) and even a remote. all in a tight small package.

just got this in and I am pleased with it.
steve saunders website shows step by step to tap into the radio and solder another device and void the tape deck.
hoping these speakers will fit in the back.
the amp will boost the bike fm and mp3.
a male/female cable will allow you to put the aux jack wherever you want.

I am just starting on this so I can't say it's a great idea but it is the direction I am going.
I can then play the mp3 or radio thru the speakers.

I also have just bo't a set of speakers for the helmet (amazon $20) with a jack that fits the gps.
I am going to splice this so 1 speaker will let me hear the cb and the other the gps.
don't care if they are stereo anyway. It is the only way I can figure out how to get it all.
good luck and if anyone has a better way, I am all ears.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cassette adapter for iPod

I've used a cassette adapter (~$15 from Radio Shack) for years to play my iPod on my 2000 GL1500SE, and the sound quality is exellent. Don't know why anyone would spend big $ for a hard wired option. Try this before you do anything else.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
www.serraelectronics ( not sure if i have the right web address )adds an ipod input to 1500 wing radios

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back yesterday and after being on the bike all week the cassette hooked up to the ipod works great. That is the way I"ll run it.
Thanks for the info everybody.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi josua60, I've been using the cassette adapter for the last few months including the last three days riding the Ottawa Valley and Quebec. The I-pod works and sounds great.
All the best

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i would not want a cassette adaptor but would use the griffin or audiovox fm transmitter

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just completed the kennedy Cellset mod on my 97 1500. Love it. i've used/tried FM mod and the tape thing. This is a much better sound. I put mine in the left fairing pocket and am trying out a couple of remote controls. I suppose ipod could be mounted on dash or bars but I don't like having that stuff external. Anyway, you have to do all the work to get your radio out, may as well do it yourself. All it requires is a little soldering. Really pretty easy as they give excellent diagrams. Once out of bike, an hour of work if you are really slow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts