Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had mine for just under a year. Currently has 28K miles.

I noticed over the last 4-6 weeks:

* gas smell when parked in the garage (though no leaks around the petcock assembly area or under the bike)

* decrease in MPG from 37 to 28 (it has a trike kit installed, thus lower MPG to begin with)

* flat spots in acceleration up to 3K RPM, which its had since I bought it

The shop guy said it looks like a carb problem. He said, he'd know more next week when he had a chance to look at it. I don't know if I'm looking at a stuck float, gunk inside the carbs, complete carb overhaul, or a replacement.

What can i expect to pay of the carbs need rebuilding? Synchronizing?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
674 Posts
Your symptoms sound just like my 2012 1800 which is in the shop having the charcoal canister replaced I think I must have overfilled my tank which will damage this canister.
I am not saying you have the same problem but it is a less expensive to fix than carb work if your canister has been flooded with raw gas. It needs to be replaced before any carb work. Hopefully the tech will diagnose your bike correctly and not just hang parts on the bike.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't see what yr your wing is; The 88's & I "think" the 89's & maybe the 90's had an off idle issue,(stumble or hesitation) you can get an aftermarket trigger wheel, I put one on mine in Oct when I replaced the timing belts,it's an easy install.
I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, it bumps the timing up 4 deg..supposed to cure that issue..I think I paid $23 from wing stuff.
Not sure if this will help you, but if your flat spots are due to this it's a great fix..cheap too!!..lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see what yr your wing is; The 88's & I "think" the 89's & maybe the 90's had an off idle issue,(stumble or hesitation) you can get an aftermarket trigger wheel, I put one on mine in Oct when I replaced the timing belts,it's an easy install.
I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, it bumps the timing up 3 deg..supposed to cure that issue..I think I paid $23 from wing stuff.
Not sure if this will help you, but if your flat spots are due to this it's a great fix..cheap too!!..lol
It's an 89. Ive had the 0-3000RPM flat spot issue since I bought it, but the bike runs greats. I've seen those wheels, but the flat pots aren't that bothersome. I know these carbs need synch'ing too quite often. It's the gas smell and decreased mileage that has me bugged.

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
I'd guess there is some plugging of the jets that's affecting things a bit. We've done a couple at our shop.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your symptoms sound just like my 2012 1800 which is in the shop having the charcoal canister replaced I think I must have overfilled my tank which will damage this canister.
I am not saying you have the same problem but it is a less expensive to fix than carb work if your canister has been flooded with raw gas. It needs to be replaced before any carb work. Hopefully the tech will diagnose your bike correctly and not just hang parts on the bike.
Don't know if my problem is the same as yours, but I have overfilled my before. Now I fill to the bottom of the neck. I'll wait until he call next wek and then mention this to him. Thanks for the tip.

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
It sounds like a line leak. When the bike isn't running it shuts off the fuel supply. It could very easily be puddling up on top of the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Have 95 GL 1500 and just had the carbs rebuilt and accelerator pump replaced which was about $400. Had master cylinder replaced too and charged me 1000.00 for everything. Mechanic had allot to pull off to access master cylinder so I assume it was more than half the cost, like 500.00 and they also did an oil change.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm getting the same hesitation, feels like a lean bog to me, like the idle circuit of pilot jet need to be richened up. I'm still waiting on a shop manual for mine but what part of the '89 carbs are computer controlled? Or is it just a TPS for ignition timing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts