Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of a 2000 GL1500SE and am considering upgrading my pair of halogen headlight bulbs to 60/55W from the stock 45/45W bulbs. This should produce considerably more candlepower, but does anyone know if there will be a problem with the stock alternator/ charging system in keeping the battery charged while generating the needed current? I also run trunk sidelights in addition to all the stock lighting, stereo, etc. Thanks.

·
Administrator
29,074 Posts
jmorizi1, I put the PIAA H-4 lights on my 1500. The link below is what I used.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...247_goldwing_Lighting_Accessories/des/?page=8

I did put a Compufire alternator on, but it was not due to extra lighting. I wanted to run heated clothing & other things. When I installed the lights I checked amperage with stock lights & new lights & the increase was less than an 1.5 amps so I believe you would be fine. The way you can check the amount of load your adding is to divide the watts by the voltage. I use 12 volts to be safe but in actuality it is higher than that.

By the way I love the Headlights.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The alternator on the 1500 is a weak point. If you have over 60,000 miles I would replace your brushes first, also you want to keep an eye on the headlight unit so the heat from the higher wattage does not melt it.

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
An alternator up grade would be a good idea, but also make sure the wiring to the headlights will be able to handle the increase in wattage.

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
I was told that the newer 1500 with the different lens/reflector couldn't use high watt bulbs, only the old style glass could. I wanted to upgrade my '93 and use the new lens/reflector and use brighter bulbs and was told no, that the plastic would be ruined. It may work with the glass lens like my '93.

·
Administrator
29,074 Posts
jmorizi1, I have a 95SE. It does have a glass lens. I have run these lights for over a year now & have had no issues. The wiring is not an issue you are only increasing the load by less than 1.5 amps. I've actually taken the lens & assembly apart about 6 months ago to check it for myself & everything was fine.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just ordered 90/100W for my wing. I have run these in plastic lenses on my truck and car for years, works like a champ. I used to run 150W on my racebike but that required real glas and non plastic reflectors as well as relays and thicker wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.