Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of a 2000 GL1500SE and am considering upgrading my pair of halogen headlight bulbs to 60/55W from the stock 45/45W bulbs. This should produce considerably more candlepower, but does anyone know if there will be a problem with the stock alternator/ charging system in keeping the battery charged while generating the needed current? I also run trunk sidelights in addition to all the stock lighting, stereo, etc. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
jmorizi1, I put the PIAA H-4 lights on my 1500. The link below is what I used.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...247_goldwing_Lighting_Accessories/des/?page=8

I did put a Compufire alternator on, but it was not due to extra lighting. I wanted to run heated clothing & other things. When I installed the lights I checked amperage with stock lights & new lights & the increase was less than an 1.5 amps so I believe you would be fine. The way you can check the amount of load your adding is to divide the watts by the voltage. I use 12 volts to be safe but in actuality it is higher than that.

By the way I love the Headlights.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The alternator on the 1500 is a weak point. If you have over 60,000 miles I would replace your brushes first, also you want to keep an eye on the headlight unit so the heat from the higher wattage does not melt it.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
An alternator up grade would be a good idea, but also make sure the wiring to the headlights will be able to handle the increase in wattage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fossil, thanks for the link and the review of your upgrade. Looking at the comments from Trike Lady re. not overloading the wiring, and Joe re. being sure the extra heat generated by the higher power bulb doesn't melt the headlight unit, I assume these issues have been non-issues for you. What year is your 1500? I've heard the stock alternator on the later years of the 1500 model run were somewhat better than on the earlier versions.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I was told that the newer 1500 with the different lens/reflector couldn't use high watt bulbs, only the old style glass could. I wanted to upgrade my '93 and use the new lens/reflector and use brighter bulbs and was told no, that the plastic would be ruined. It may work with the glass lens like my '93.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
jmorizi1, I have a 95SE. It does have a glass lens. I have run these lights for over a year now & have had no issues. The wiring is not an issue you are only increasing the load by less than 1.5 amps. I've actually taken the lens & assembly apart about 6 months ago to check it for myself & everything was fine.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just ordered 90/100W for my wing. I have run these in plastic lenses on my truck and car for years, works like a champ. I used to run 150W on my racebike but that required real glas and non plastic reflectors as well as relays and thicker wires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts