Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering when my Wing would die of fuel starvation. Would it quit when the needle got to "E"? So, I got a couple gas cans and a siphon hose this weekend and did some experiments.

The first picture below shows the results. I thought the information might be of interest to a relatively new Wing owner, such as myself.

I also have a second picture; a drawing of what I see when I look down into my fuel tank. My owner's manual says "there should be no fuel in the filler neck". So, I assume that, in order to get a "full" tank of gas, you would have to balance the Wing upright (the side stand would leave the bike tilted at an off-vertical angle) and fill it with fuel until it reached what I have labeled as "B" in my drawing. Does that jive with you more experienced 1500 owners?

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Interesting stuff.

Here's what I know.

When fueling I will always fuel on the side stand. There comes a point where (just as you say) the tank appears full. If i was trying to get every ounce of fuel in I hand the nozzle to the little lady & stand the bike up causing the air to escape, put the bike back on the side stand & put more fuel in.

Now in saying this the only time I bothered to do that was on our Cross Country trip in remote areas when we weren't sure of the next fuel location.

As far as the gauge here's what I do. (With all my bikes),

Ride by mileage not the gauge.

My process to get there was this. Stuck a 1 gallon can in the trunk drove until my fuel light went on, drove some more, drove some more & finally at 220 miles I decided to stop for fuel. After that point never looked at the gauge again unless it was to start a day.

Just fueled every 200 miles & knew that I could go at least 220 in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I've had this Wing almost 20 years and never bothered to put it on the center stand or stand it up straight when fuel. Leave it set on the side stand and fill it till the fuel is just into the neck and call it good. Like the fossil ride I use the odometer as a gage. I usually fuel between 120 and 150 miles by then my butt needs a brake anyway. And I prefer to ride on the top half of the tank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting stuff.
Just fueled every 200 miles & knew that I could go at least 220 in a pinch.
I have read that headwinds and higher speed interstate travel can have a significant impact on mileage. Does your 200 mile rule leave enough leeway for these "special case" riding environments?

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Worst I ever got was about 26mpg headed east on hwy26 in Eastern Washington bucking a head wind with an over size windschield.
Sorry that was Fossil question.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Worst I ever got was about 26mpg headed east on hwy26 in Eastern Washington bucking a head wind with an over size windschield.
Sorry that was Fossil question.
Ron, was it you who told me once that " A fool and his empty tank soon go their separate ways " ?

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Ron, was it you who told me once that " A fool and his empty tank soon go their separate ways " ?
Could have been, Lad could have been. I've been know to expound Words of Wisdom on occasion.:goofy:

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
I have read that headwinds and higher speed interstate travel can have a significant impact on mileage. Does your 200 mile rule leave enough leeway for these "special case" riding environments?
Well I guess I should have clarified by saying "Normal Driving", also sorry for misleading a bit that I never refuel before 200 miles.:Damn:

That is the guideline I use on good conditions & normal driving. IE: tach kept below 3k, no headwind, etc etc etc

Of course adjustments may have to be made on conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.