Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the GL1500 when my guage is on the red empty line I am just able to put 4.7 gallons in. The fuel light doesn't come on at that point. When I first turn the key on the fuel light flashes on so the light is good I think. I get really nervous when it shows empty so I have never gone past that point. I'm assuming I have 1.5 gallons when it is on the red.
Is my guage off or is this standard on the 1500?\
When does the light come on?

When the key is off the needle falls quiet a bit to the left of the empty.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
seem to be standard as the guage on my 1500 isn't very accurate either

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Snoop, do what I did. Put a 1 gallon can in the trunk with gas & rode until the light came on to make sure. I didn't run out & determined that I could go a lest 20 miles with light on, at that point I stopped for fuel but I'm sure I could have gone farther. Now I usually drive by the mileage with an occasional glimpse at the Fuel Guage. I agree with William I think that's the "norm" with 1500's because mine is like yours & his.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i went to cleveland, oh earlier this year with a group of friends. three others were on 1500 wingd and all our fuel guages were off. one guy was nervous and filled up at our first stop ( we had all different kinds of bikes in the group ) taking only 3.2 gallons of gas. i had all the other 1500 wing riders fill up when i did and we took just over 4 gallons each just outside of cleveland, just over 170 miles

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that's what I'll do, just put a gas can in the trunk. I guess after I've had it longer I will get used to it. It just bothers me to have it reading below the empty & not sure how far I will get.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The tank holds 6.3 gallons, when the reserve light comes on there should be around a gallon of gas left in the tank, As soon as your light comes on go to a station and fill the bike up, that will let you know how much fuel you have left when the lite comes on, some will vary but should be between 1.2 gals and .9 gals
Chech this out

http://www.rc123.com/rc123_images/GOLDWING GL1500 Owners Manual.pdf

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had the same nervous feelings on my 2000SE after I bought it. I would fill up when the needle would hit different refernce marks on the guage. Like you found I had 2 plus gallons left in the tank when the needle was on "E". Now I just start looking for gas when I get about 200 miles on the trip meter. Rest easy, ride hard!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When the needle hits E your not empty, when your reserve light comes on then you have about a gallon left.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You can adjust the float but it involves removal of the fuel pump IF I remember right, The float is attached to the fuel pump which is under the seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts