Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 1200 Interstate trike. It is naked [no fairing etc]. I am getting some bad wobbling at the front end [handlebars trying to thrash around if I dont hold on tightly]. I have been told there should be a heavy weight somewhere at the front to counteract this. I have no weight on mine, could this be the reason for the problem?. I am new to wings so any information is appreciated.
Thanks, Daveski in the UK.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome Daveski from Florida,USA. I am no trike or 1200 expert,but i can confidently tell you you need to immediatly check your steering head bearings for looseness. How many miles does she have on the clock? They may need replacing. Also,what shape is the front tire in,any chopping or just plain excessive wear? If the tire is ok,from what i've learned you need to run 40psi or slightly higher in the front and around 20psi in the rears.I have a lady triker friend with an 1800,we have her running 42psi front and 19 rear.Drives great. I've never heard of any kind of weight. I'm sure those with more trike knowledge will chime in. Again,welcome,you've come to the right place.Lots of good people and help here. Ken '94 1500SE 2 wheeler.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
IMHO the real reasons for front wobble could be:
1. A worn, under inflated tire which has cupped.
2. Worn, loose head bearings (jack up the front of the bike and see if the forks can be moved forward/rearward excessively) If they need replaced All Balls tapered bearings would be my replacement suggesting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts