Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To begin with I had a starter problem an had to rebuild the starter. when i reinstalled the starter it would only spin and not engaged the engine. when it sit overnight it would engaged after trying it 6th or 7th time. I was advised to add seafoam to my oil and drive my 85 Interstate 100 miles to clean the sludge out of my starter clutch. well when i drove about 50 miles the engine just shut off like it was out of gas. when trying to restart the starter would only spin so i trailered it home and the next morning it started just fine, but run only about 15 mins before it shut off again. i checked the dogbone fuse an even installed a inline blade fuse. i can let it set overnight and it will start right up but will shut off after 20 mins. any suggestions and thanks

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
The first thing you need to do is find out if it is gas or electrical. And that means riding until it quits. If you carry a spare spark plug with you, pull one lead off and rest the plug on the engine and see if you have spark.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with the 1200 but if you do like Eric suggests and you got spark you might look into the fuel filter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's very good advise. Just something to think about,my pickup truck did the exact same thing as you described.I finally tracked it down and it was a corroded coil wire.The rubber boot around the coil wire would contract when it cooled down making the wire make contact.As soon as it got warm it would get limber and shut off everytime.

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Sounds like the pulse generators (spark pickups) are going bad.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
+1 on cantankerous.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If you want to test the pulse generators, take your timing covers off. Tie up and wires that my come in contact with your timing belts. Drive the wing until it turns off, then spray the pulse generators with air in a can (computer cleaner). Hope this helps, but you are an idiot and won't listen to any advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.