Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently picked up a decent condition 100,000 mile 1986 GL1200 SEi as a project bike. My goal is to turn it into a "cafe" style bike with a cut down rear fender, single saddle, low bars, etc. I've seen some pics of older GL's done this way and wanted to try it myself for something interesting to ride to bike nights and whatnot. I wanted a fuel injected version for the reliability and power.

This particular bike had the common voltage rectifier failure that melted the battery cover. No big deal to me because I can get another cover and everything's going to be painted anyway.

To start the project I'll of course need to remove all of the fairings and bags, etc. Is there a market for these takeoff items?

I want to get rid of the electronics equipped "tank." I understand there was a "naked" version of the older GL's. Would a tank cover from a naked model work on the GL1200 SEi?

Anything I should know or keep an eye out for as I go over/through the bike?

Thanks!

Chris

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
The 'naked' version used the same tank.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Welcome from Maryland

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Well, the bike does have fuel injection and you may want to swap over to carbs and remove all the parts associated with fuel injection including the ECM under the trunk. and the trip computer. The parts are very valuable to those who own the Limited/SEi models.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Well, the bike does have fuel injection and you may want to swap over to carbs and remove all the parts associated with fuel injection including the ECM under the trunk. and the trip computer. The parts are very valuable to those who own the Limited/SEi models.
Just my opinion.
Hi trike lady,

Actually, I sought the FI model because that's the version I wanted. The only parts I want to "scrap" are the cosmetic items. Just wondering if there is a decent market for the take off stuff or not...

Chris

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Some of the items will sell on eBay.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
I have an electrical schematic and service manual if you need them, they are on a CD.
The trip computer alone you can get $300.00 for.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
The 'naked' version used the same 'tank'.
wrong the nakkid 1200 did not use the same tank
the fuel injected 1200's are rated at the same hp as a carbed 1200 but do weigh about 40lbs more
the carbs are just as reliable if not more so than the fuel injected bikes, carb parts are abundant can't say that for eal the parts that make up the fuel injection system

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Welcome Chris. The only advantage I can think of is the EFI model had a bit more output on the charging system due to the requirements of the system itself. Not 100% sure, but the 'melting' you mention could be part and parcel of the wiring harness issues that plague the stator too. Hard wiring (solder and insulation) pretty much cures that. As to the tupperware, there's always peeps looking for those pieces, just check out the "for sale" section here and you'll come across lots of posts in that regard. Depending on where you are, E-bay or Craig's list are good outlets to reach the masses too. If you're going the bare bones route, a 1200 std tank may be your only choice other than custom fabrication. Check out the "Naked Goldwings" site for ideas detdr buzzard and I both used to drop in there once in a while; I haven't been back in a couple years though. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.:icon_biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
Welcome Chris. The only advantage I can think of is the EFI model had a bit more output on the charging system due to the requirements of the system itself. Not 100% sure, but the 'melting' you mention could be part and parcel of the wiring harness issues that plague the stator too. Hard wiring (solder and insulation) pretty much cures that. As to the tupperware, there's always peeps looking for those pieces, just check out the "for sale" section here and you'll come across lots of posts in that regard. Depending on where you are, E-bay or Craig's list are good outlets to reach the masses too. If you're going the bare bones route, a 1200 std tank may be your only choice other than custom fabrication. Check out the "Naked Goldwings" site for ideas detdr buzzard and I both used to drop in there once in a while; I haven't been back in a couple years though. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.:icon_biggrin:
the higher output stator on the efi wings is just as prone to failure as the stator on a carbed wing. the higher output was needed to power the efi. ngw is now ngw club, i make it there a few times a month

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Yup on the stator doc. Honda upped the output, but didn't help out the wiring...:embarrassed:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just ordered a rectifier from Rick's Motorsport Electric. A "Hot Shot" model designed for high-output stators.

Are Rick's products ok?

Chris

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
I just ordered a rectifier from Rick's Motorsport Electric. A "Hot Shot" model designed for high-output stators.

Are Rick's products ok?

Chris
i hear good things about ricks but i've never place an order with him

·
Banned
1 Posts
You indicated that you had a CD with the electrical diagram for a naked 1200 Goldwing. I would like to find out how to get that from you. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
You indicated that you had a CD with the electrical diagram for a naked 1200 Goldwing. I would like to find out how to get that from you. Thanks
Member has not been on since Feb 2013. He may not see your post. You could try to PM him but if he's not on the forum he won't see the PM either..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.