Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an st1300 03 and I love it. It does two jobs well. Its sporty and yet my wife can sit on the back. She's commfy and her but wont stick up in the air like a frog. We saw that sun, girl on the back of a sport, tail in the air legs out to the side. Ready for takoff. I thought!!! I want a 1200gl or an se. are ther any problems I need to know about. Which are the better years to buy and what are the issuse they have I dont mind working on my own. I kinda like butt I wanta ride alott more than fix em. unless I have two bikes. So whatca got out there what do i need to watch for,whats out there.
Im a honda guy who wants more honda (how bad can that be hhmmm.;)

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
if i were you i would look for a 1500 wing, there a bit roomier than a 1200 wing

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The 1500 Gold Wing would be a good bike for you to start with, try for a 92 or up,

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If you are set on a 1200, I'd look for the SE. It has several advantages like EFI and the higher output on the charging system. I believe there were very few stator failures on SE's but I could be wrong there. The two tone gold was pretty nice too.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
the higher output of the stator was to power the fuel injection and the ltd and sei had the same stator problems that the interstate and aspencade had

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Thanks for that detdrbuzzard. There's a couple of the SE's local, but they were purchased used and the current owners have had no issues. Maybe they have either the alternator upgrades, or did the replace and solder trick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 85 aspencade for years and the only problems I had were the stator and it started hard when the temp dropped below 50. Also it get's harder to find parts. My wife and I put a lot of miles on it and enjoyed them all. With that said I would also look for a 1500 for the extra power an the ride is smoother. I now drive an 1800 wing and we love.
Just enjoy what ever you buy.

Ride Safe
Kwing

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
Unless you are really good with a wrench and have access to parts, I would agree with the other folks and look for a good used 1500. Many more options and parts available for those years (1988-2000). Whatever you choose, ride safe and enjoy

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i've seen some '88 and '89's with 75,000 to 100,000 going for $4500 to $5000

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wiil stand pat with what I have. Money is tight,so there is no way to trade my st for a 1500 without cash. 1200 was an even trade but I have to say I did'nt like the idea of trading my 03 for an 85 wing or not. You guy's are great for helping me make my choise.It is here as it is on the st owners site. Strait shooters who try hard to help.
Thank you all
Toy

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It's unfortunate that Honda and the aftermarket doesn't devote the energy to making 'nice' accessories to add to the user friendliness and passenger comfort of the ST. I loved that bike, but it wasn't my sig other's cup of tea (could have been my tendency to ride the sucker at warp factor five, too). The stock seat just plain sucked (IMO) and the back pad on both the Honda tail pack and the Givi leave much to be desired. I found a reasonable sound system to use, but not from Honda obviously, and an electronic cruise is a no brainer (kinda like a power screen for the Wing...crap I did it again didn't I?). Keep searching for the magic 1500 Toy, there's one out there waiting for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Still have a 1984 Aspencade that I bought new. The carbaraters have been a non issue. Rear gears went out at about 15,000 miles. Front and rear bearings went out about 40,000, and 48,000 miles respectfully. (I had ample warning on all 3 issues) Stater went out at 45,000 miles, or so. Bike is pure stock, with no extra lights, or wiring. (factory CB, and intercom installed by dealer) Plug was hard wired before it went out. (I pulled the head light and taillight fuse under the tank lid, and rode it 300 miles, and even stopped it and restarted it on the battery, to get it home. You will still have a brake light, and started out with a full charge on the battery) Honda dealership did the work on the stater, and Honda Corporation gave me a lifetime, parts and labor, warranty. Also had the timing belts replaced then as well. (they looked like new, but that, as I understand, is not proof of their integrity)

The bike has been a hoot, and even though I am blown away by the engineering on the 1800, (also, it is more comfortable for me, and especially, my wife) I still think the 1200 is a great machine. The only time I ever felt any vibaration, was when the rear wheel bearings were going out. I would not be afraid to take it and ride all 4 corners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts