Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87' Gl 1200. 76k miles. I was driving down the interstate and it shut off. After it cooled down about 10mins it cranked back up and ran until it started warming up again. I believe it is either fuel pump or coils going bad. any thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
It sounds like the pulse generators are going bad.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is a pulse generator, where are they located and how much do they cost if You dont mind me asking? Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
They are located under the timing belt cover on either side of the crankshaft. They trigger the coils and tend to be thermal when going bad. The Honda parts book lists them at $102.96. If they are still available.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. Thanks. I'll check into them. Is it a possibility that coil or fuel pump could be bad? Or is it more common for pulse generators are more likely to go bad?

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
A fuel pump would cause it to sputter and stop, not just shut off. The coils generally will cause hard starting when hot, before failure.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It runs fine as long as its cold then as it warms up it gets progressively worse until it wont idle, or run right. It has a distinct miss when it starts doing it. Sometimes if you choke it when its not starting it will run but very rough. This is my first GW and I've had it for just over a week now its broke down. I really and mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but bike is another story. Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, still not sure. Anymore suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
The way to test the pulse generators is to have the timing cover off, ride the bike around on a short ride, have a can of electronic component freeze mist handy and when the bike begins to run bad spray the components with this and when the bike straightens up and runs right, you'll have found the problem.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never thought about that. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
It is going to be the pulse generators. This is a common issue on 1200's.

You can find the parts cheeper than the $102.96 listed above.

Go to www.cyclemaxohio they have a OEM section. Find your year of wing and look under timing belt w/cover...they list the price of $78.65 for the pulse generators.

·
Registered
62 Posts
you might also want to check the main fuse block on right side of battery, check the wires. on my 86 had to replace them. good luck.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts