Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello~

1985 GL1200 LTD: The front brake switch doesn't cause the brake lights to come on. I know all four lights (trunk, lower) work because the foot brake turns them on.

I took the switch off of the handlebar and found that one of the two buttons on the switch was stuck down so I cleaned it off and it operated freely and made the lights come on. I started to attach the switch back on the bar and noticed the lights were no longer on. (I'm not sure if i imagined it or not, but the switch box seemed to be slightly warm after these steps.)

I took the switch assembly off, checked the four connections and everything seems to be making clean contact; i took the cover off of the switch and the switches themselves operate freely and seem to be clean. I get current from the switch tabs through the four pin connector.

There seems to be some electrical grease in the harness end on the bike where the switch connects, but everything on that ends seems to be clean too but alas, no lights no matter what I've tried.

a few questions:

1. the switch itself has two buttons; i'm assuming one is for the trunk lights and the other is for the bottom lights?

2. even if the switch appears to be clean, is it possible that it's faulty?

3. any other tests i can do to make the lights come on and see if it's actually the switch, or something shorting further down the harness?

4. is there a fuse just for the hand brake light switch that may have blown?

thanks for any insight you can provide!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the switch and solved problem. $12 from Honda dealer.
Thanks for the reply- I will give that a try- looks like an easy repair if the switch is the problem. One of the two connectors doesn't "click" when released - probably the problem.

thanks again!

dschullo

·
Registered
793 Posts
Brake light problems, be safe and replace the switch, don't want to get rear ended. One set on contacts are most likely stop lights and the other set for starter/gear disable and cruise control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brake light problems, be safe and replace the switch, don't want to get rear ended. One set on contacts are most likely stop lights and the other set for starter/gear disable and cruise control.
thanks- that makes sense now- I didn't know what the second set of wires were for. Most of the switches I found online had only 2 wire leads-

thanks for the information

dschullo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts