Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road the 1200 wing to my brothers place and then went for a ride through the Adelaide hills. After dinner and a chat it was time to head home. Put the key in turned the key, and nothing. No lights, no blinkers, no horn, nothing. Tested battery and it was ok. Checked fuses under false gas tank. All ok. I decided that it had to be between the battery and the fuses under the false gas tank. A good guess. There is a fuse block next to the battery. I was playing with it when everything came back on. Has anyone had a problem with this fuse block and what can I do with it. I have found a lot of things on this bike in the dark and was kicking myself because I had a perfectly good work shop manual at home. A lot of good it was doing there. In the morning I will have a look at it in the daylight. Eric

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Eric,
I would check everything attached to that fuse.
Disconnect battery, then if possible remove at the wires one at a time if possable and clean all the connections and re tighten. might also want to clean the fuse holder.
When you reconnect the battery make sure all the connections there are clean and tight.
Best of Luck
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you still have the original fuse in place..it's time to do away with it! The "dog bone" fuse is a weak point. They can look fine,but, there is usually a very fine crack in them. They will act weird when they get warm.:)

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
to replace the dog bone fuse go to the auto parts store and pick up a 30a waterproof blade style fuse holder and fuses. also pick up some open end terminals to solder onto the fuse holder. when the dog bone fuse goes out replace it with your new setup. i keep mine in the trunk

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I am about to go out and have a look at. Being Saturday my best option is to clean it all up and in the next couple of weeks I will replace that fuse. Electrical problems are my weak point. So Detdrbuzzard you are saying that you have put in a fuse board simular to the fuse board under the false gas tank with the bayonet type fuses. Because in the next couple of weeks I will do a replacement of that fuse. Eric

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Daylight brought a bit of a surprise. Two of the red wires had melted together and on the fuse block it was black where the male with female joiner meet. I cleaned it all up, cut the female joiner off and then soldered on new female joiners on. The wires were seperated and electrical tape applied. Everything was working and the lights were not fading out when the brakes were applied. I could now get ready to go for a ride. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
still go and get the fuse holder that buddtwo is showing you. its much easier to find blade fuses than dog bone fuses out on the road. i just soldered ends on the fuse holder so it can be attached inplace of the dog bone fuse

1 - 10 of 10 Posts