Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 1200A. I have a small high speed wobble, or maybe just the feeling of instability, on the interstate when making a sweeping turn.

The other day, I was playing (adjusting) the preload in the front shocks. It pumped up, and suddenly the front "let loose" and it rose about an inch, it did this a couple of times as the preload increased.

On the way down, essentially the same thing happened with the sudden letting go after bleeding off pressure.

I believe this "stickyness" may be the cause of my wobble.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

kevin :cool:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the forum Klmcbeth. I think what was happening while you were experimenting is a normal thing with an air over oil setup. If you could add or remove air from both at the same time you probably would see the movement would be much smoother,not so "sticky" as you put it. What you describe first off sounds like you need to check your steering head bearings for looseness,and/or catching in spots as you turn it lock to lock. I assume your tires and tire pressure are in proper order. If not,this needs to be taken care of as well. Again,welcome,this is a great place with lots of good folks that can help with anything on a Wing. Ken '941500SE

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Klmcbeth. I experienced a tank slapper once on my 1200 at about 60 mph in a sweeper. Scared the bejeebers outa me! Checked the tyres, head bearings everything and nothing wrong. One of my GWRRA buddies sold Superbraces at the time and said that would cure the wobble, and it did. At least I never had another after I put it on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Klmcbeth.I also have a 85 gl 1200a. I know the feeling you are talking about. I just ordered the Superbraces. I will let you know how it workes out for me.Ride safe and often Doug

·
Registered
23 Posts
All Good Advice and more of the same here. Check air pressure in the tires first. Then make sure your neck bearings are clean and properly greased and tightened to proper specs. These things you would need to do anyway! If she still misbehaves then the superbrace should do the trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts