Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a newbie and i need of some guidance please. Just bought my gl1200 Aspencade and love it to bits. The guy that sold her told me something i just want to check with you guys. At slow speeds i feel a front wheel wobble and was told this is due to the rake (distance from grips to front wheel) seems very plausable and the second thing is she struggles to turn over and i first felt this was battery related as it was dead on pick up, but after 160 miles lights on and a dial telling me 14v was being returned to the battery im starting to feel this is a starter motor issue....what throws me is this is thing is lit up like an xmas tree....some lights cant be turned of (front amber two by headlight)i really want in on this new experience after riding 20 years of sports bikes i now want more...and found it

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The two lights by the headlight were designed to stay on. There shouldn't be any wobble in the front end. You might have a bad starter, does it turn over easier when cold?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The two lights by the headlight were designed to stay on. There shouldn't be any wobble in the front end. You might have a bad starter, does it turn over easier when cold?
Thanks for welcome and quick reply,
No is the answer, when cold its as if the battery is dead, then it turns once slowly then it picks up on speed till she fires up

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome to the forums, well I might not be the best to answer questions on 1200's, I'm sure someone will pipe up quickly. As far as I know, all Goldwings can be a little picky about batteries. About front end wobbles, check head bearing adjustment and tire inflations/tire wear pattern. I'll be going through my head bearings this off season and upgrading to some new front springs once I get a few bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forums, well I might not be the best to answer questions on 1200's, I'm sure someone will pipe up quickly. As far as I know, all Goldwings can be a little picky about batteries. About front end wobbles, check head bearing adjustment and tire inflations/tire wear pattern. I'll be going through my head bearings this off season and upgrading to some new front springs once I get a few bucks.
Thanks for advice...happy biking

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
If it picks up speed, it could be the starter itself or possibly the solenoid.

+1 on what blk93wing said about the wobble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it picks up speed, it could be the starter itself or possibly the solenoid.

+1 on what blk93wing said about the wobble.
Thanks guys...always a little worrying when you buy someone else's unwanted toy! i know she is lovely condition but these two things have me slightly unsettled...thanks for advice

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
One more thing, check the connections at the battery and the grounds on the frame to engine.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello drewster, welcome to GWOF. check the head bearings, wheel bearings, and front tire for the wobble issue

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Love the condition Of your 1200. I would be thinking the starter needs new brushes. These 1200 can give more trouble with hot starts than cold starts. With hot starts it can be the ground and I put an extra ground from the battery to the starter. And that has helped with hot starts. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Hello all, I'm a newbie and i need of some guidance please. Just bought my gl1200 Aspencade and love it to bits. The guy that sold her told me something i just want to check with you guys. At slow speeds i feel a front wheel wobble and was told this is due to the rake (distance from grips to front wheel) seems very plausable and the second thing is she struggles to turn over and i first felt this was battery related as it was dead on pick up, but after 160 miles lights on and a dial telling me 14v was being returned to the battery im starting to feel this is a starter motor issue....what throws me is this is thing is lit up like an xmas tree....some lights cant be turned of (front amber two by headlight)i really want in on this new experience after riding 20 years of sports bikes i now want more...and found it
Hello and welcome to the GWOF!

Is the front end stock or raked/extended out? A poor battery will not become good just because enough volts are being returned to it, so I'd load test and check specific gravity and level of water/acid in it. Good luck!
P.S. Post photos of the bike and everything you ever do on it from now on!:p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello and welcome to the GWOF!

Is the front end stock or raked/extended out? A poor battery will not become good just because enough volts are being returned to it, so I'd load test and check specific gravity and level of water/acid in it. Good luck!
P.S. Post photos of the bike and everything you ever do on it from now on!:p
Turns very much for the advice Tantanka

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome drewster! One more bit of advice on the front end thing from past experience. Teh 1200 came with a factor fork brace made from basic aluminum stock. Mine wore prematurely (at around 60k the mounting bolt holes were enlarged by wear by about half again what they needed to remain tight. A Superbrace install fixed that in about 5 minutes and $50. Not saying that'll sort yours, but it's sure an easy inspection, just remove one of the bolts and look at the hole:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Love the condition Of your 1200. I would be thinking the starter needs new brushes. These 1200 can give more trouble with hot starts than cold starts. With hot starts it can be the ground and I put an extra ground from the battery to the starter. And that has helped with hot starts. Eric
Thanks very much Eric:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome drewster! One more bit of advice on the front end thing from past experience. Teh 1200 came with a factor fork brace made from basic aluminum stock. Mine wore prematurely (at around 60k the mounting bolt holes were enlarged by wear by about half again what they needed to remain tight. A Superbrace install fixed that in about 5 minutes and $50. Not saying that'll sort yours, but it's sure an easy inspection, just remove one of the bolts and look at the hole:D
thanks budoka

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.