Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok Guys, I Need Some Advice On My New To Me 1981 Gl1100. I Bought This In November Of 2009, 92,000 Miles, Kind Of Neglected By Previous Owner Who Admited That It Wanted To Run A "little Warm" The Last Time He Rode It. I Run It In My Garage And The Temp Went To Red Fairly Quick, I Removed Thermostat And Flushed Cooling System, Installed New Stat And Coolant, It Is Now Better But Still Seems To Overheat When Running In Garage. I Replaced The Fan Switch With Honda New Switch But The Fan Doesn't Run Unless The Switch Is Bypassed, Still Gets Hot With Fan Running Constantly. Seems To Get A Lot Of Pressure In Surge Tank, Possible Head Gaskets ? I Am Thinking Head Gaskets Or Possible Water Pump. No Water In Oil Or Oil In Water. Which Item Goes Out On These Things, The Water Pump Or The Head Gaskets. I Get A Little Smoke From The Left Side When First Starting Till It Warms Up A Bit, Looks Like Oil Smoke, Not Serious Tho. Anyone With Experience Similar To This?
Thanks,, Bill In Alaska

·
Registered
47 Posts
I do not think it is the water pump,for it to quit pumping the shaft or blades would have to be broken. I don't think the head gaskets are prone to leaking but it (can) happen.I have seen some H G on ebay for $25.00, also if you replace the H G do not forget the small o rings for the oil restricters

·
Super Moderator
15,001 Posts
you have to ride it, all the early wings seem to heat up in a hurry when running but not moving but the temp guage should go bact to normal ( about halfway ) in a few minutes of having some air flow through the radiator

·
Registered
61 Posts
hello I have an 81 gw i have never had it run hot sitting stile untile I changed my coolant I let it sit for two or three hours and filled coolant up again and it never gets hot now even sitting. h g dont blow very often but i have heard of them blowing. It sounds like a blown h g though because of getting so much presure

·
Super Moderator
15,001 Posts
while you have it idling is the fan comming on when the engine gets hot? if you have a fan blow some air at the radiator

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I Replaced The Water Pump, Head Gaskets, Belts And All Related Gaskets, Adjusted The Valves Put Everything Back Together And No More Overheating. The Coolant Tank Doesn't Have Pressure In It And The Temp Gage Runs About 1/3 The Way Into The White Area,, The Snow Kinda Melted And I Rode About 30 Miles Today. Everything Works Great. Thanks To All Who Helped With Advice And All..
Bill In Alaska

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.