Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok Guys, I Need Some Advice On My New To Me 1981 Gl1100. I Bought This In November Of 2009, 92,000 Miles, Kind Of Neglected By Previous Owner Who Admited That It Wanted To Run A "little Warm" The Last Time He Rode It. I Run It In My Garage And The Temp Went To Red Fairly Quick, I Removed Thermostat And Flushed Cooling System, Installed New Stat And Coolant, It Is Now Better But Still Seems To Overheat When Running In Garage. I Replaced The Fan Switch With Honda New Switch But The Fan Doesn't Run Unless The Switch Is Bypassed, Still Gets Hot With Fan Running Constantly. Seems To Get A Lot Of Pressure In Surge Tank, Possible Head Gaskets ? I Am Thinking Head Gaskets Or Possible Water Pump. No Water In Oil Or Oil In Water. Which Item Goes Out On These Things, The Water Pump Or The Head Gaskets. I Get A Little Smoke From The Left Side When First Starting Till It Warms Up A Bit, Looks Like Oil Smoke, Not Serious Tho. Anyone With Experience Similar To This?
Thanks,, Bill In Alaska

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dose it get hot when you are out riding also or just in the garage?
CAN'T SAY THAT I HAVE HAD A CHANCE TO GET IT ON THE HIGHWAY YET, WE STILL HAVE SNOW. HOWEVER THE COOLING SYSTEM SEEMS TO GET A LOT OF PRESSURE IN IT AND BLOWS THE COOLANT OUT OF THE PLASTIC TANK. IF I SHUT IT OFF AND GIVE IT A FEW MINUTES TO SETTLE DOWN AND RESTART THE ENGINE THE PRESSURE RETURNS RIGHT AWAY EVEN IF THE TEMP GAGE IS STILL IN THE WHITE ZONE. THIS ALL TAKES PLACE EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE FAN RUNNING ALL THE TIME,, MAKES ME THINK HEAD GASKETS, ARE THE HEAD GASKETS PRONE TO LEAKING??

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do not think it is the water pump,for it to quit pumping the shaft or blades would have to be broken. I don't think the head gaskets are prone to leaking but it (can) happen.I have seen some H G on ebay for $25.00, also if you replace the H G do not forget the small o rings for the oil restricters

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you have to ride it, all the early wings seem to heat up in a hurry when running but not moving but the temp guage should go bact to normal ( about halfway ) in a few minutes of having some air flow through the radiator

·
Registered
12 Posts
sounds like you may have compression coming back through a head gasket or a small crack in head I am not sure if you can see in the rad with engin running but if you can and there is air bubbles coming up in the rad it is a good indication that is what it is just my 2cents wirth:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
hello I have an 81 gw i have never had it run hot sitting stile untile I changed my coolant I let it sit for two or three hours and filled coolant up again and it never gets hot now even sitting. h g dont blow very often but i have heard of them blowing. It sounds like a blown h g though because of getting so much presure

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Want To Thank Everyone For Their Help,, Lots Of Good Info, And People, Out There, I Am Going To Replace Head Gaskets (and Belts While I'am In There). I Feel That Will Cure The Problem. Again Thank You Everyone. Bill In Alaska

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
while you have it idling is the fan comming on when the engine gets hot? if you have a fan blow some air at the radiator

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
while you have it idling is the fan comming on when the engine gets hot? if you have a fan blow some air at the radiator
I SHUT IT OFF, LET IT COOL, AND BEFORE STARTING IT BACK UP I CONNECTED A JUMPER AT THE FAN SWITCH SO THE FAN WAS RUNNING AT STARTUP,, STILL GOT LOTS OF PRESSURE IN COOLING SYSTEM AND OVERHEATED, IT BLOWS ABOUT HALF OF THE COOLAND OUT THE OVERFLOW. I NEVER LET THE THING GET INTO THE RED ZONE BUT IT GETS RIGHT TO THE END OF THE WHITE, CHECKED THE TEMP WITH MY THERMOMETER AND IT WAS ABOUT 210 DEGREES, USING ONE OF THOSE LAZER TYPE TEMP GAUGE THAT YOU JUST POINT INTO THE PLASTIC TANK. THIS SEEMS ABOUT RIGHT WITH THE GAGE AT THE END OF THE WHITE..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I Replaced The Water Pump, Head Gaskets, Belts And All Related Gaskets, Adjusted The Valves Put Everything Back Together And No More Overheating. The Coolant Tank Doesn't Have Pressure In It And The Temp Gage Runs About 1/3 The Way Into The White Area,, The Snow Kinda Melted And I Rode About 30 Miles Today. Everything Works Great. Thanks To All Who Helped With Advice And All..
Bill In Alaska

1 - 11 of 11 Posts