Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working all winter on the '82 Naked GL that I bought last fall. The bike runs real nice and the weather has been pretty warm lately so I have been able to to take it for some very short, slow rides around the block.

What I have noticed is that, at very slow speeds, the front tire tends to "fall" into the turns. I have to hold it back from turning too much. It is an odd feeling that I have not experienced with other bikes I have owned.

Just sitting on the bike stopped with the front wheel pointing straight ahead and then turning the bars a bit they want to keep turning all the way. And you can feel the bike go down slightly. Then when you straighten it out again the bike rises a little. I think this is due to the trail of the front fork.

Does this sound normal for a GL1100?

I would appreciate your thoughts

Brian

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
it could be the tires you have on it

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
No, that's not normal, nor good.

I assume forks are linked, so same pressure in both? Oil level same in both? For some reason I'm wanting to check (1) front wheel bearings and (2) steering bearings first if the forks are OK (above plus straight and tight in the steering stem.)

Loose/worn bearings could create this effect as they change the steering geometry. As Doc says, check your tire. After confirm forks and pressures OK, put it on the centerstand or otherwise lift front end off ground and manually move the front end around, wiggle, etc. looking for play in the wheel on the axle and/or the steering stem, especially looseness Should be a light bearing drag in the steering from side to side.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
I know a bike that was doing that. It was a combination of very low air pressure in the tire and bad head bearings.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Get teh bike on the center stand as Tatanka mentions and check the steering head for play and looseness, My guess is your issue is in there. New head bearing time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.