Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was cruising last week in a slow area, fan ran a long time, then loss of power and elec. While waiting for the tow truck, dug in and found the stock 1980 GL1100 fusible link wiring melted. Ordered a replacement, re-did all the wiring, and cannot get anything to happen.

Noticed the old and new starter solenoid have M and B sides noted, not sure what these are to indicate. Imagine they are to represent power in and power out. Any ideas?

I wired the 4 wires into the quick disconnect per the old unit (looks like larger-gauge 30A main in and out & smaller-gauge ignition switch in-out). I tried many configurations for the pairs with no change.

Also, could there be another component upstream that is not sending ignition power to the fusible link, not pulling in the starter solenoid? Turn the key on and no headlight/running lights...nothing.

·
Premium Member
6,426 Posts
Did you check battery voltage....maybe the battery cooked?

Mark

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, Wingit, I did check the battery. Nice, healthy 12.8VDC.

A quick jumper from battery + to the starter coil, bypassing the starter solenoid, and the starter started to actuate properly.

I am thinking the culprit must not be sending voltage through the ignition switch (rectifier). I have no experience with this component, so just searching to see if this is likely and now to check.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked all the fuses?
I checked all fuses in the false tank. I am not aware of any others. Of course, the fusible link is new and good.

I see the fan motor is fed off of the same source that feeds the voltage rectifier with regulator. Since the fan had been running for awhile prior to the failure, is it likely that the fan failed and damaged the wiring, opening up the circuit that controls the rectifier?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.