Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that the choke shafts are actually turned by a spring inside the black "cams" that are linked to the choke cable. If I "assist" with just the lightest twist to the shafts between the carbs the choke butterflies will close and then re-open when the linkage is released. I have used penetrating oil (Gibbs Brand) and actually got the right cylinder's carb chokes to work with the linkage alone but the left bank carb choke butterflies only go about 1/3 of the way closed until I help them just a little bit. I saw no set screw or anything to remove the black "cams" from the choke shafts but I was about done in the shop for the day and didn't spend a lot of time looking for an attachment/assembly method. I looked at a exploded carb view on Bike Bandit's site but it didn't show the detail of what I was needing. I hesitate to drop a bunch of money for carb kits and maybe even a book or video at this point since the engine itself may have issues on the bike. I'd like to verify that the bike will at least run before I spend much. The bike was ..... well, lets say neglected before I got it.

Thanks, in advance for your help.

Lynn

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind....I found that the caps pop off of the black cams I referred to. The "tail" of one of the springs had either been installed incorrectly by the previous wrench, or it had popped out of place. The choke shafts now all turn together. Lif is good!

Lynn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Lynn, are you from Lake HD? I buy a bit of stuff from the US for my Softail and well it's always feels better if you know your dealing with a real person who has just as much fun with older bikes as me :) with the choke only problem on Rhonda was the plastic fitting and nut at the knob end of the cable broke (decade) so I made some new ones on my lathe out of aluminium, if I can come up with a simple(er) design I will make a few more and see if there is a market for them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Lynn, are you from Lake HD?
I guess you're asking if I work at a Harley dealership? No I don't. When I first started following some discussion groups on Yahoo Groups, every user name I tried to sign up with was rejected as already being used, so their program helped me select a name. lake_harley always seems a bit out of place on non-Harley websites and especially on ultralight aircraft sites:) I know what you mean though about feeling better about dealing with a company if you feel you know someone at least a little bit.

Lynn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts