Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I've a 1980 GL1100. 26000 genuine miles. When ticking over there is a lot of rattling from the bottom end, I presume clutch/gearbox.
As soon as the revs rise above tickover the noise disappears. Pulling in the clutch lever makes little difference, but drop it into first gear and the noise disappears.
Clutch feels OK and the gearbox operates very smoothly on the move. Pull up and put it in neutral and it sounds like a bag of spanners. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Geoff.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's low mileage to be messed up on the wear side but you never know. You need to split the nut and check if it's the neutral worm path position grove or your crank sleeves.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi brind, before stripping the engine down, any chance the motor is only running on 3 cylinders due to maybe clogged carbs. 1100's seem to rattle when they are not tuned smoothly due to carb imbalance, fouled plug, vacuum leaks or what ever. If the engine noise goes away with a few extra rpm's it is not bottom end problems. good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi 2580. Sorry for the delay, I have been away for a few days. When I first got the bike it seemed to go onto three cylinders on tickover, so I balanced the carbs and it made a tremendous improvement. I only have a pair of gauges, as my other bike is a BMW twin, so I will try balancing them again. Thanks for your help. Brind

1 - 5 of 5 Posts