Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, 81 Gl1100 with some rust, lots of grime, oil from several decades ago, and dust everywhere. First things first, need to take the front fairing completely off and start washing to see what exactly needs to be done. Can I powerwash this thing without damaging any of the exterior engine components? I also need to wash inside the external tank cover where the fuses are located; provided I pull the battery and the fuses is it safe to wash in there? Please let me know! Thanks all.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Getting Ready to Get Ready -

Hey Mystery - Welcome to the forum - Most owners will tell you that the first item to get your hands on would be a maintenance manual. Personally, I like Clymer for their photos and easy to understand repair procedures but there are several books out there. You might even consider one of the manuals on a CD but you typically have to print out anything that takes very many steps to complete.

As far as using a power washer to clean up a bike that's been stored in a barn, there are probably just about as many pro's as con's. From experience I've typically found that if I have any doubts about doing something (and do it anyway) I usually regret it.

You might consider using several large cans of engine De-greaser and carefully wash it off using a low pressure water hose. I'd keep the water down low on the engine/trans/drive shaft/rear end/etc... and keep it well out of the electrical stuff. Don't forget that the seals through out an older bike may not keep the water out of all the innards so use some caution.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Like JK said about power washing, I wouldn't either. Sure would like to see some pictures of this along the way!

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Agree with that too. Best solution is to clean the thing by hand IMO

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Pressure washers are far too powerful. We use them in our construction business as they can easily rupture and blow things apart. Used on wood siding to pressure clean before painting one can write their name in the wood. Once I blew water thru the exterior wood siding and penetrated the interior walls. Even a high pressure washer at the car wash is too strong. Soap and water, degreaser, Simple Green and some good scrubbing is your best bet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Another benefit of hand washing is you touch and see everything as you go. Get a variety of stiff brushes and rags and sponges, some good hot soapy water and degreaser and take your time, you'd be surprised at how much you "see" as you wipe things with a rag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.