Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1976 GL1000 with only 16,900 miles. It looks great. It had a lot of maintenance done (including timing belts, tires & all fluids) 3000 miles ago but that was in 1998.
The starter sometimes won't catch & goes "wiiiiiiiiiiiing". If it does catch & turn over the engine, it rattles-on for a few seconds. What do you think is wrong?

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it were mine I would replace ALL of the things you said were replaced in 98, tha timming belts for sure.The starter not catching could be from just setting for so long. Ride after the maintenance is done and that should take care of that. Go to www.randakk.com he has a tech tip section on how best to get a older wing going after a long layup.There is also a tip there on how to take care of the off idle stumble these older wings have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Starter problem

I have a 1978 GL 1000, purchased a year ago. I have recently started having about the same problem, and have yet to totally figure out the answer. Mine seemed to only have the whining noise trying to start in the early cold mornings. It would take a couple times, but would finally start. I purchased another used starter, which seemed to work for about two weeks, but three days ago it started just turning the starter over like a bendix was not working properly. I replace with my old starter and it started for a full day with no problem. I drove it to work, and after 12 hour shift, it took almost 45 minutes for the starter to finally kick in. I got home and took my battery in and put a full charge in it over night, and now it has worked everytime for two days. It has me completely confused as what could be the problem and how to fix it. I also recently put in a new stereo, and had the memory wired connected to the battery. Maybe that was draining to much from the battery.I will try to keep this post informed as to my future with this ongoing problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts