Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

The Goldwing bug has bitten me! I've always lusted after those original flat 4s, and am now in a position to make it happen.
I am looking at a number of postings, and have been consulting Randakk's blog - what an incredible resource. One thing I notice is that a lot of the postings I come across have these Vetter Windjammer fairings, and often luggage, too. I'm sure they're highly functional, but I love the clean lines of the stock bike. My question is: is it possible to entirely remove the fairing, associated wiring and luggage/brackets to the point that there is no trace of them ever being there? The pictures don't make it clear how they were installed, so I'm not sure if that involved welding brackets onto the frame. I assume taking the fairing off will require a fair bit of work on the wiring harness side to get things back to stock.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
DSA

·
Super Moderator
11,949 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

To remove the fairing you would need the original headlight and turn signal assemblies. Everything should be bolt on, no welds.

·
Super Moderator
9,794 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. Good luck on your search for your Wing. Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Registered
762 Posts
Welcome from Chocolate town Pa and wishing you miles of smiles.😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Sounds like I will need to spend some time on ebay then. Might as well get the bike first and then worry about it :)

·
Super Moderator
14,645 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. There is another here (RayJ) who is working on an old classic to keep it on the road. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. You might want to ride the bike a bit (especially at highway speeds) before you remove the faring, then again after. If you are only going to use the bike puttering town then you should be good. The Vetter makes riding at speed far more comfortable than without.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a low mileage 1980 GL1100 Standard, the plain bike, no accessories like fairing and all that. I would be willing to sell it for what I have into it. I paid $2000.00 for it as it only has 10,000 miles on it. I believe it even still has original tires as they need replaceing before doing much riding. Only problem I see for you, is I live in north eastern N D. Easy to get here though on I 94 and then I 29 north.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am building one now. PM me with a phone and we can talk. I am having a ball working on mine.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I hit send too quickly. Also go to the naked wing club. Lots of great help there also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hit send too quickly. Also go to the naked wing club. Lots of great help there also.
Have you at least one shop manual?? I have a Haynes and a Chilton's. Both are valuable and were used a lot when I picked up my first 1100. 80 GL1100 Standard with a Windjammer, after the first year it had Vetter trunk, bags and a few years later even a Vetter Terraplane side car. Shortly after getting the side car, I found a 92 GL 1500 SE that also came with a camper as a package deal. I actually only wanted the camper until I drove the bike a bit!! The 1100 still got used quite a bit running around town and sometimes on the road. Sold the bike with the side car to a guy in town here that hauls his big dog in it!! The other 1100 I have is just sitting in my carport now as it is snowing and rather cool. Plus my 99 GL1500 SE is in my shop on the lift. I try to do most of my general maintaince and things during the winter months so I can ride all summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies and good suggestions. I've got a pdf of the Honda service manual. RayJ - will take you up on that! From the few days that I've had mine, it's been a blast.
Just picked her up earlier this week: 1976, Sulfur Yellow.

Bought it from the original owner (!) with only 43k miles on it. It hasn't been used in the last 6 months according to the seller, and it doesn't currently run. I wanted a restoration project - I've got two working bikes (a '98 Valkyrie and a '00 VFR) and definitely don't need a third. What I do need is something to combat boredom during these weird times :).

The battery is dead, but it turns over on the kickstarter, so at least we aren't dealing with a seized engine.
First step was to pull the fairings and bags off:

Interestingly, the original headlight was still there, just behind the fairing. But the lens and bulb were removed. I'll need to figure that out...eventually.

I'll be doing the following, in roughly this order:
  • Draining gas tank (done), and removing it from the bike to get it inspected by my mechanic/the local Honda dealer to assess the level of rust. According to the previous owner, it was coated about 10 years ago, but there seems to be some degree of surface rust no doubt caused by the gas left sitting it in. I live in California and haven't worked with a bike this neglected before, and while I'm aware of a few methods of dealing with rust, I don't have a great feel for what is appropriate for this particular amount.
  • Pulling the exhaust off. The headers have some very odd white/rust-colored tone to them, which the owner says is the remnant of an old paint job. I'll definitely want to re-paint them at some point.
  • New belts. I don't know when they were last done, and I'm not rolling the dice with an interference engine.
  • Spark plugs
  • Valve adjustment
  • Ignition tuning - haven't worked with points before and am excited to start.
  • Replace oil and coolant.
  • New battery.
  • Carb clean and rebuild (thinking of getting's Randakk's kit and DVD).
  • Carb sync.
  • We'll see if it runs then, and figure out next steps based on that. Stuff like brake work (probably rebuilding everything, is my guess), getting a headlight and turn signals on it, fork seals, etc.
  • New tires. It currently has Metzeler 88s on them, which the owner said he put on it a year ago. They look fine. But looking at the date stamp, it is a 3-digit code, which seems to mean that they're pre-2000 and therefore will most definitely need replacing before I ride anywhere.
  • Wrapping the body panels. I picked this bike because it is entirely stock and I got it from the original owner. According to Randakk's blog, Sulfur yellow is also more collectible, which could come in handy down the line if I go to sell it. But I'm not really a fan of the color. Wrapping it seems like the best way to go, since it won't affect the underlying paint.

It's already been a blast working on this thing, and I can't wait till it is running!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Good luck! I bought an 80 gl1100 interstate awhile back. I havent done very much. I have stripped it down (remove the luggage, fairing, seat and rear fender) it has a few wiring issues but no biggie. I'm going for a hotrod feel with it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yours looks better than mine. I decided to ignore the rust and deal with the mechanical. I’ll decide about the rust later.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have dealt with the rusted tank. Other than tearing the bike apart it is not too bad.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nice bike! I have a 77 that has not run in 30 years waiting for restoration.

I think the headlight comes out of the fairing and goes back into the housing on the bike. Take some measurements to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
How have any of you dealt with dried out intakes manafolds ? A friend is restoring his 1975 GL1000 and is down to one last bad intake manafold .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's going! But quite slowly. Workdays have been busy, so weekends are the only time I get to work on it. This is partly by design...I've been guilty of getting overexcited, working on a project like crazy and then relapsing into boredom when I'm done. Going for a more measured approach this time.
The tank is out of the bike, and I need to get some quotes from radiator shops for re-coating it. The old coating actually looks fine from most of what I can see, but there are definitely some rust particles in there. Depending on what the quotes are, I might try cleaning and coating it myself. The exhaust is off the bike, too. One of the headers separated off just fine, but the other has rusted into the horsecollar muffler. I've been hitting it with Free All daily, but to no avail. Will probably go buy a MAP torch (I hear blue is the way to go) and give that a try next.
I did establish that the tires are indeed ancient, and so will be budgeting for a new set. But that won't need doing anytime soon.
Belts just arrived in the mail - planning to drain the coolant (which needs doing anyway) and pulling the radiator off to get better access.
It's been a blast!

·
Registered
1979 GL1000 and 1976 GL1000 LTD
4 Posts
Hey DSA,
I'm new on this site as well, but am impressed with all the feedback you received. And as you know understand, pulling off the Vetter equipment isn't difficult at all. Both 1st Gen Goldwings I've purchased had Vetter fairings, trunk, and bags, and were not at all tough to take them back to naked, which I much prefer. The advantage of getting these bikes like this is that they've been protected more from the sand and rocks that chips the paint and a bit of protection from the Sun. I've owned and enjoyed riding a black '79 for many years. I've more recently searched for and purchased a '76 LTD that the Honda dealer brought up-to-snuff, so I couldn't have done better for such a low mileage collector edition!
I also like naked GLs better, so I installed windshields on both bikes, along with soft bags that I throw on either one when needed. I also installed a better seat...put Corbins on both...and my butt loves longer rides with these seats.
As you, I am expecting to learn more about how to enjoy my bikes and to get ideas about how to make 'em better!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts