Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Take off (3) 8mm bolts and remove the exhaust extension. Drill a 3/8" or 1/2" hole, bigger=louder. Put everything back together. Here's a video/sound byte of how it sounds. Sorry, no stock sound to compare to.
It is still quiet enough to have a nice conversation with your passenger without yelling.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Great post Dookoo, That should help some of the guys that are interested to have a different sound but are a little leary to take a Dewalt to their exhaust system.

Keep up the great work on information.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The beauty of this mod is that it is completely reversible by plugging the holes with freeze plugs. Others have used threaded pipe plugs with JB Weld. Back to stock is a snap.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm kinda likeing the original exhaust on my '86. It has just enough rust to give it a little sound...:) I'm afraid of hitting a large bump and turning into an open pipes hog...:mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
But these aren't loud, they just sound better. I do agree with the car tire though. You need all the rubber you can get on the road in a curve.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kinda hard to tell how they sound on a computer speaker, but sound pretty nice.
I usually start my MSF class by telling my students that, on the way to class, I pulled up beside a car with a loud stereo. Speakers booming, windows rattling, babies crying, dogs barking.... what do you students think of this? To which, usually to a student, they make comments like, how stupid, how obnoxious, pisses people off, should be a law, and so on.
Then, I say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say a motorcycle with loud pipes"....
They get the point.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Don't know why I passed this over before. Sounds a lot like my 'snakes do; maybe not quite as deep at idle though. Exhaust sound can be tasteful if done right.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Snakes and the Cobras have a lower rumble/resonance. I just wanted a little extra volume to be able to hear my engine over road noise and other bikes so I know when to shift. The stock exhaust was so quiet, which is good, that I either overreved or miss shifted because I depend on my hearing for shift points. It was easy, free, not loud, and reversible.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I"m going to try my extra baffles in the pipes to see how much difference there is. The manufacturer says the standard baffles don't burn or blow out but I'm going to try them and see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had a set of Cobra pipes in my Garage for the last 4 years that I may try if I get my 2010 this week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Much Better!

This mod is really a must. It doesn't cost a cent and it makes the Wing sound like a motorcycle. It's very subtle, not obnoxious, just adds a bit of a throaty tone, like the engine actually has some balls. I have a subwoofer on my PC so I could hear the throaty tone that was achieved. I started by drilling 1 hole and began to hear some low end but with the hiss that is in the video. I ended up with 8 holes and sawing the small end tube off the muffler. The hiss is gone and the low end more prevelant. Replacing the chrome ends with the small round opening in the end mellowed it to a subtle low end purr that I think any one could get next to. I may eventually wind up with other exhaust mods but this will really do for now. Video to come.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
can 1500 wing exhaust be modded this way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any muffler can be modified this way. I performed the same mod on my VTX before purchasing Vance & Hines Longshots for it. With my Honda Fury I was able to remove the muffler cans, cut each end with a hole saw and slide the guts right out of it. Later I removed the gutted muffler cans and installed Raw Design Tips. Now it sounds like a chopper. The holes you drill in the end of the muffler is just letting exhaust escape without channeling through the quietting baffles. It's an inexpensive way to gain some subtle rumble and it is no where near the loudness of straight open pipes. As stated in earlier posts, if you hate it, you can plug the hole(s) that you drilled. I didn't care for 1 hole, tried 4 holes and got excited and drilled 4 more. My tinkering probably won't stop until I eventually bypass the cats and run new pipes. Just very expensive to go that route.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I had Longshots on my 1500 Vulcan, sweet but LOUD. Then when I did the 95" bore, flowed the heads, and went to a 42mm Mic carb and some other stuff it went from loud to OMG! If you opened the tap on that puppy any place there was lots of tall buildings and lots fo concrete and asphalt, oooooh baby did she bark!:cool: Set many an auto alarm of with it. It was truly an exercise in control while riding through residential areas, hospitals etc not to make too much noise. Part of me still misses that bike and it's attitude (I rode that bike for 10 years, longer than any bike I've ever owned) but those days are over for me. I like the deep growl of my 'snakes.:cool::D Might have opted for the drill method had I known though;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any muffler can be modified this way. I performed the same mod on my VTX before purchasing Vance & Hines Longshots for it. With my Honda Fury I was able to remove the muffler cans, cut each end with a hole saw and slide the guts right out of it. Later I removed the gutted muffler cans and installed Raw Design Tips. Now it sounds like a chopper. The holes you drill in the end of the muffler is just letting exhaust escape without channeling through the quietting baffles. It's an inexpensive way to gain some subtle rumble and it is no where near the loudness of straight open pipes. As stated in earlier posts, if you hate it, you can plug the hole(s) that you drilled. I didn't care for 1 hole, tried 4 holes and got excited and drilled 4 more. My tinkering probably won't stop until I eventually bypass the cats and run new pipes. Just very expensive to go that route.
I've changed my outlook on removing cats. Now I really appreciate when I ride in a group and don't smell like raw exhaust. If I smell it from the bike in front of me, no offense, but I pass em.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Don't blame you at all for that Dookoo, I don't care for the smell of unburnt fuel either. However, it's not just the cat that takes care of that. It's usually a poor state of tune that causes the unburnt fuel to that degree.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those who critical of car tires on a Goldwing are those who have not tried them. I have and won't go back. Great improvement in ride and handling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DooKoo, I tried your idea on my 08. But, I added alittle turn down pipe into the hole. I have turn down tips. So, you can not see anything. But, it sounds great. It gives that little extra sound that I like. Thanks for the tip.
Keep the rubber on the ground.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts